• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
B1ack_Mi16

Bbm Radiator

B1ack_Mi16

Hi

Do anyone know if the BBM radiator has cooling passages behind the upper/lower lip that I've marked in red on this picture.

I got some mounting kits for the cooling fans, but I don't really like the idea of forcing those plastic strips throught the cooling fins.

So I rather make some steel bracket up and bolt the fans to that, and like to pop-rivet the brackets to this upper and lower lip.

Can I just drill at the 4 arrows without any problem?

bbm_radiator.jpg

James504

Sorry I dont have an answer for you. But I use a 8 Inch fan with the "zip" style fixings without problem. However after approx 6 months of use my rad developed leaks on both sides of the core (nothing to do with placement of fan fixings), now after 1 year its really starting to leak heavily. I assume from vibration. Im thinking of cutting the top mounting points and welding them slighter futher in allowing me to use a rubber fixing for the top side mounts.

Edited by James504

welshpug

I think there are tubes there, have a look at drsarty's project, i wouldnt attach the fan direct.

bobob

Sorry to interrupt your thread, but have you got a link to the rad?I can't see it on the BBM website.

Mad Scientist

The core is too close. You'll have to weld tabs on, which is how the fan mounts come if ordered when new.

B1ack_Mi16

Ok. So there is actually a core underneath it then...

Maybe better to drill the top/bottom of it then, and use pop rivets through that.

Shouldn't get in contact with the core I suppose.

welshpug

I wouldn't rivet anything to it, I doubt you have the clearance, would weld tabs on if you really must fix something to the rad.

alu-rad-205-detail.jpg

B1ack_Mi16

I know, but I don't have a TiG or alu welding equipment, and really don't like to remove it from the car once again either.. So I should make something up :)

Btw. the diesel servo steering worked fine, even though I think the steering turned out a bit too light now.

welshpug

ok, have a look at DrSarty's front end, you have a mig right?

p1010349n.jpg

good news on the steering :D pump is the same so if you find an Mi16 cam pulley it should be fine.

Edited by welshpug

Sign in to follow this