• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
silkworm

Cold Start Problem - Mi16

silkworm

Hi,

Sorry, another cold start problem. I've trawled the history and can't find anything that's similar to the issue I've had. I'm not that mechanically minded, so bare with me....

Background; running 205 with 1.9 mi16. This was already done when I bought it, and to be honest, whoever did it, didn't do a great job, the wiring isn't great and I'm currently on the lookout for a replacement engine loom. This is probably half the problem, I'm not sure. It's running on the 8v loom as far as I can tell.

Symptoms; The car won't start from cold, it takes about 6-8 mins of constant turning over (maybe 30 attempts or so), you can smell that it's fuelling, and it's definitely sparking, but will turn over once or twice then die. The more times you do this, the closer it gets to starting and the more times it will turn over. I have put new ignition + plugs leads on, and new rotor arm on the dizzy. The flywheel sensor is working also.

I've read things about the SAD and ECU temp sensor, they are the only things I haven't replaced yet, is this the right direction?

When she's warmed up, you can turn the engine off and she'll start right away, the idle isn't even too bad and runs well.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

thanks

Anthony

welshpug

Hi Anthony, you are looking along the correct lines with the air flow meter, another part to check would be the blue coolant temperature sensor, a 2 pin bosch item, the SAD is but a simple valve operated by a bimetallic spring, rarely does it actually give fault.

However given that it is on the 8 valve management, which is far from ideal, I would highly reccomend you get in touch with another Anthony on here and get hold of the proper engine management for that engine.

he has a for sale topic here.

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=144441&hl=&fromsearch=1

silkworm

Nice one mate. Yes the 8v set up is not ideal, I'm just on a budget at the moment....I'm gonna try that coolant sensor and see if I can find an AFM to test with. Thanks.

Gonna hit that bloke up too, cheers for that!

Anthony

JRL

Have you checked the ignition module with a known working one?

silkworm

No mate, can that make a difference if it's still sparking? Sorry if that's a stupid question.

Anthony

Are you sure that it's running 8v management? Other than the 1.9 CAT equipped models, they don't use a sensor on the flywheel for engine speed/position sensing, and rather is done from the distributor.

Check what part number is on the ECU (likely under the dash above the drivers footwell) and report back, and we'll be able to confirm what management it's running.

silkworm

yeah the car is a 94 L reg..its got the lambda sensor and engine management light etc...i can get the ecu number on sat if still needed.

Sign in to follow this