• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Bovien

Oil Leak From Back, Below Cam Cover?

Ramigojag

I know this is an massive bump but do you need to remove the timing cover plate that sits behind the camshaft pulley?

Thanks

Bovien

No, the issue was the housing seal near the dizzy on the opposite side of the timing gear

Ramigojag

Sorry I meant with what this guy said.

Just remove the timing belt covers , slacken the belt tensioner and slide the belt off from the camshaft pulley .

Then , undo the camshaft pulley bolt (you'll need to make an tool to hold the cam pulley while undoing the bolt though , if you don't have one , it's not hard to make it DIY if you have welding machine and few piece of steel bars .. or borrow from someone universal pulley holder) .

Remove the cam pulley , use a pocket screwdriver to poke the seal out , press/fit a new seal inside (apply an light skim of blue anaerobic sealant on the outer side of the seal , and oil up the inner side of the seal with fresh engine oil prior to fitting ..)

Fit the pulley back , clean up the pulley bolt threads with an wire brush and apply medium grade thread-locking glue , and tight to the torque specs (can't remember how much Nm is for camshaft pulley bolt ?!?... check in Haynes book)

Now , myself , when i undo the timing belt once i always replace him for the sake of a two bottles of beer price ... though , if your was recently replaced , can just slide it back on the cam pulley timed it up and away you go ..

If not , it'll be best opportunity to replace it along with the seal .

Damir B)

Did you need to remove the plate behind the cam pulley?