• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
davey205

95K 1.6 Gti Oil Advice

davey205

I have been searching for a few hours here and a few other forums etc and it seems the general consensus for a 8v thats getting on a bit is to stick with 10w 40 semi synthetic as a good all rounder to prevent seepage.

I am ordering some Total Quartz 7000 10w 40 for the Saxo as thats what it says to use in the handbook and was wondering if that would be a good oil to use in the 205.

I have only had 1 experience with fully synthetic and that is some gulf competition 5w 40 I used last time in the Saxo ( overkill I know but I do a lot of very short journeys ) and I find the engine to be quite rough tappy which it wasn't before.

From the information I can gather the Xu Tu series engines were designed to run on 10w 40 semi synthetic but I guess my question is should i trade tappyness on the Saxo and possible leakage on the 205 for the better cold start protection of 5w 40.

Sorry its a bit longwinded, been searching head is fried, lol.

Edited by davey205

Batfink

10W 40 will work fine on the 205

• Like 1

Alan77

Yep, as above, 10w 40 semi is fine. I have always used Mobil Super S \ S2000, changed every 6 months.

Edited by Alan77
  • Like 1

Sign in to follow this