• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
vtifan

Gearboxes For Beginners

vtifan

i am gearing up to do a gti6 conversion to my phase 1.5 1.6gti.a wee while back i got the chance of a gti6 converted phase 2 with a few goodies on at a price i couldn't refuse,block was cracked though so engine pretty much useless apart from spares.

this car came with a gearbox fitted that is different to my 1.6 box,it has a flywheel sensor fitted for starters,is there any way of telling what this box is,1.6 1.9 mi16,i take it it must be a be3 later box if it has the sensor,are there any codes that would tell me whats what,cheers guys

pug_ham

Basically, no.

All you'll find to id the box is Be1 / Be3 XU30' on the casting near the diff housing or the clutch mechanism changes between Be1 & Be3, there is a breather on tiop of the Be3 box where the reverse lock out cable fits on the Be1.

The only other way to find out at most what final drive ratio it has is to take the diff cover off & look for the two numbers stamped into the crownwheel & try to match it to a gearbox but even then several different boxes use the same 4.063 fd of the 1.6 box yet with different ratios for the rest of the gears.

You need the flywheel sensor for the GTI-6 to work but it could still be a Be1 gearbox, the last ones of them had the CAS hole machined out for use afaik.

g

Sign in to follow this