• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dave205

Dimma Restoration/overhaul/modification

dave205

hi all, a few of you probalby know me through the for sale/wanted section, but i thought i would start a build thread on my latest project as i didnt bother when i did my turbo conversion last year.

Ive bought myself a base model shell with a dimma kit fitted from a friend of mine, its been a local car for the last few years. It was originally a 1.0L but when the head gasket went it was parked up and left. The previous owner removed the old engine with the intentions of fitting a saxo vts engine but never got round to it, so subsequently sold it to me! The car is sat in the dry at the moment, but im hoping to get it in the garage with in the next few weeks to fill up the long dark nights! Im not 100% what im going to do to it yet, i may strip and completely rebuild it, or just chuck a 306dturbo engine in it, mot it and drive it, i had also thought of putting a standard 1.6 or 1.9 engine back in it, but as i said undecided yet.

I'll try and update this as and when i can, (regularly hopefully) with pictures aswell.

Few pics of when i got it to follow:

http://s1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb383/dave2055/dimma/

dave205

Quick little update:

Spent an hour this afternoon clearing the engine bay out http://m1203.photobucket.com/albumview/albums/dave2055/06EAF0A0-6DBE-4431-9B27-9B7F41B37A13-392-000000318054806F.jpg.html?o=1&newest=1

Ive found a few bits of rust here and ther, mainly in the inner arches, nothing that isnt repairable with bits from a scrap shell i have.

Whats the best way of cleaning all the grime, oil,flaking paint, surface off from with in the engine bay? Wire grinding wheel? And degreaser? Whats the best stuff to use that will do a good job?

allye

Post the IMG code of the pictue on photobucket in your past and will come up like magic!

IMG_1255.jpg

06EAF0A0-6DBE-4431-9B27-9B7F41B37A13-392-000000318054806F.jpg

Looks a great base, putting a diesel in it would be awful though!!!

dave205

Ah i see :).

Ive sacked the diesel idea now, thinking of chucking a turbo motor in there, but with an eaton 45 supercharger on it aswell :)

dave205

Quick update, ive been trying to get the front bumper off but ran into a few problems. The bumper isnt fixed to the 2 front bumper bars at all. Im unsure how to get round it when i re-attach it because i dont want to have bolt heads visible through the front of the bumper.

The other problem is the weight of the front bumper bouncing up and down has caused the bottom of the front wings to crack. Again i want to repair this before re-fitting.

I'll add some pictures later which should explain better!

p1234

Post the IMG code from photobucket, think its the 3rd or 4th on the list of links under the picture on the photobucket site and it will come out big like above.

dave205

I cant find the code, im using the photobucket app on my iphone

p1234

Don't know about phone version, easier posting pictures on the pc id say.

dave205

I'll give it a try later when im home.