• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Bovien

Time For Engine Warm Up

Bovien

Are your engines also taking extremely long time to get thoroughly warm? I mean untill the oil temp is nearing 90 degrees. It is like 20 minutes of driving untill it gets there. Why is that?

My other car is like 10 minutes to get warm (3L supra turbo) and the oil is only trailing the water by a few minutes. In the gti it trails by 10 minutes or so.

welshpug

is it a 1.9 with air-oil cooler? how cold is it in your country?

Anthony

Did the Supra have a heat exchanger? Without one, it does take a while for the oil to warm up properly if you're just bumbling around, and it's even worse with an air-oil cooler without an oilstat (like the standard 1.9 GTi setup)

Bovien

Its roughly 10-15 degrees. Supra has a real air-oil cooler installed. That is with a thermostat though. But also before that, when it was just using a heat exchanger like the gti, it gets to operating temp much quicker. As do most other cars.

The standard gti setup, isn't that an heat exchanger? I see no air-oil cooler on mine. Its hard to see in front of the radior but following the hoses, I just see water connected to the oil filter location.

It just got the gti engine installed as I bought it with a non standard 1.9 from a BX or 405. That also took forever to get up to temp. My temp sensor is new, by the way.

I'm guessing it's just supposed to run like that, I'm just wondering why it is so enormously slow to get temperature into the oil...

Edited by Bovien

Anthony

Sounds like you've got the heat exchanger that later 1.9 models came with - bolted to the front of the gearbox, yes?

It was only 1.9 models with PAS over here, but I guess all Scandinavian spec cars might have had it due to the colder climate.

welshpug

if that is the case I would replace the thermostat.

cheesegrater

Bearing in mind you've got a turbo which is going to heat your oil up nicely!

feb

My 205 is the same and doesn't have any oil cooler at all.

In my 6.5 mile trip to work, the oil temperature needle in the 205 has hardly moved, whereas the same trip in my Forester, it has just reached 85-90C by the same time.

I think in turbo cars the oil is warmed up faster as it was said.

allye

Was the same with mine, the coolant gets watm real quick but the oil takes a good 15mins. Thought i was normal and all cars do it, never open it up till its warm!

Bovien

Sounds like you've got the heat exchanger that later 1.9 models came with - bolted to the front of the gearbox, yes?

It was only 1.9 models with PAS over here, but I guess all Scandinavian spec cars might have had it due to the colder climate.

I don't know where the engine in my car came from as it came with a XU9J2 that I just now replaced with the correct XU9JA engine. I'm guessing its a "danish" engine, but I'm not sure.

if that is the case I would replace the thermostat.

Is the heat exchanger controlled by a thermostat???

Just remove the cooler.

No thanks. My previous XU9J2 engine didn't have a cooler and that constantly ran hot at highway speeds after a while. But it was exactly as slow to heat the oil as this XU9JA with a heat exchanger.

My 205 is the same and doesn't have any oil cooler at all.

In my 6.5 mile trip to work, the oil temperature needle in the 205 has hardly moved, whereas the same trip in my Forester, it has just reached 85-90C by the same time.

I think in turbo cars the oil is warmed up faster as it was said.

Same thing i experienced with my "old" engine that didn't have a cooler. But that ran hot after a while, as described above.

I see the point in that turbo cars (if the turbo is oil cooled) heat the oil quicker. I must confess that I don't remember having timed how long other non turbo cars get to operating temp in the oil.

What sump have you got?

No idea. The OEM one on a XU9JA engine? What is the difference?

Was the same with mine, the coolant gets watm real quick but the oil takes a good 15mins. Thought i was normal and all cars do it, never open it up till its warm!

Good to know and yes, I never go beyond 3k rpm on untill after 85 degrees c

And in general; is there anyone else with the 1.9 GTI XU9JA engine that sees the oil getting up to temp quicker than 20 min or so of slow city driving (maybe 15 min with a constant 2-2.5k rpm A/B road driving)

welshpug

if the thermostat is stuck even partially open it will rake a long time to warm up.

pug_ham
Is the heat exchanger controlled by a thermostat???

The heat exchanger is after the thermostat iirc & won't get hot water until it opens so the oil will warm at the usual rate until then & should get up to temperature quicker once the thermostat has opened.

I've found on my cars that depending on quality of oil & outside temperature, it can take up to 20 minutes of normal driving to start to show oil temp but less if I use a dual carriage way but I also don't rev it above 3k until stabilised.

I have an alloy sump, no cooler & haven't seen excessively high oil temps, even after a good blast it didn't get above 95'c.

It should see a trackday again next year so I'll see how it copes without the cooler but I think it'll be fine.

g

Alan77

And in general; is there anyone else with the 1.9 GTI XU9JA engine that sees the oil getting up to temp quicker than 20 min or so of slow city driving (maybe 15 min with a constant 2-2.5k rpm A/B road driving)

Mine is an XU9JA 1.9 with standard oil cooler in the fan housing. I also have an 82deg thermostat and it still takes 15mins or so before the needle begins to move on the oil temp guage. It doesn't bother me...

Bovien

Thanks guys, good info!

cheesegrater

Turbo's are only oil cooled as a by product of the oil feed to the bearing.

Sign in to follow this