• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mhyphenl

Lazy Starter Motor

mhyphenl

I seem to have a lazy starter motor, turn the key and the solonoid clicks but won't turn the engine, keep trying and eventually it turns quite slowly but enough to start it. Thing is it's a new one, before i rebuilt the engine my old one was doing the same thing!? What are the chances of getting another lazy one or are there a few possible causes?? Any ideas would be appreciated as i want to get this sorted tonight if poss. The starting ring on the flywheel seemed fine when it went back on so I don't think its that. Ive got a XU9JAZ by the way if that helps.

Anthony

Definitely a good, strong battery and decent earth and power connections?

mhyphenl

Definitely a good, strong battery and decent earth and power connections?

Power connections are definately good but I did wonder about the earth, I'm assuming it uses the engine block its bolted to as the earth?! Where should the earth connection for the engine be because I have to admit I can't remember fitting one! :wacko: The looms are earthed on the battery tray and there's a connection behind a body connection where the brake pipe junctions are! Can't think of a connection on the engine?!

welshpug

battery should be earthed to the gearbox and body, usually to the same stud as the wiring loom on the gearbox.

Edited by welshpug

mhyphenl

battery should be earthed to the gearbox and body, usually to the same stud as the wiring loom on the gearbox.

I see! I'm pretty shure that there is no stud with an earth connectet to it on the gear box which probably explains it! Is it going to cause any problems if I add an extra couple of earths to the box and to the current connections to strengthen the bond, as far as i can see the more the merrier!?

bondo

just stick a jump lead on as a temporary earth and see if the situation improves. If it does then there is you answer.

mhyphenl

just stick a jump lead on as a temporary earth and see if the situation improves. If it does then there is you answer.

Good idea, not thought of that! Stupidly with all the gear I have got, I haven't got jump leads. Time to invest! In terms of a permanent solution if that does work, would a simple connection from the battery to the gear box do, got some nice heafty cable and a spare connection on the battery terminal!

bondo

Yes that should work.

mhyphenl

Ok, finally got the chance to sort out a better earth connection, it's improved but is still slow! What power battery are you guys generally using? Mine is 47Ah and something like 360peak power (I think thats what that figure is!) I have a 205 GTX wth the same battery and that turns over much more quickly! Smaller engine I know but surely not that different!?

Paul_13

If you cross the terminals on the starter (live to solenoid wire) does it turn quicker? I'm a bit suspect that the wiring to it is fudged

Sign in to follow this