• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
CopperBottom

Exhaust Manifold Removal - Advice Please

CopperBottom

So today i decided to remove the SAD to clean it out, as well as remove the ECU coolant temp sensor (both in a bid to sort my combo of poor cold start and rich warm running)

However, while I was there I noticed that my exhaust manifold has got 2 crack in... which will no doubt contribute to the cars poor running!

Having a look at it, the top nuts have good access, but the bottom ones look to be a bit of a pig at first glance.

Can anyone give any advice on removing the standard 1.9 8v exhaust manifold in terms of how best to access the nuts/studs, or if willing a How To guide to the job.

Many Thanks

Nick

dcc

very easy. get on your back and go from underneath.

• Like 1

welshpug

or reach around from the sides :)

BlueBolt

very easy. get on your back and go from underneath.

+1, found this easier than reaching round the sides...

CopperBottom

or reach around from the sides :)

nowt like a good reach around ;)

Anthony

If it's still got the original/early 10mm nuts fitted, then I would strongly suggest a good 6 side socket as they round very easily.

The later 13mm ones are better, but you can still run into problems.

You'll likely unscrew some of the studs from the head as you go, and if you're unlucky, you'll snap one or more.

You can do them all from above on an 8v - four on top, and four underneath.

BlueBolt

nowt like a good reach around ;)

Said by the man called CopperBottom :lol:

CopperBottom

Said by the man called CopperBottom :lol:

Ha! its actually a cunning play on my name rather than my sexual preference :D

If it's still got the original/early 10mm nuts fitted, then I would strongly suggest a good 6 side socket as they round very easily.

The later 13mm ones are better, but you can still run into problems.

You'll likely unscrew some of the studs from the head as you go, and if you're unlucky, you'll snap one or more.

You can do them all from above on an 8v - four on top, and four underneath.

Thats one of the first things that entered my mind when i had a look at them, shearing them. I think alot of penetrating oil for the next few days and some heat when i go to take them off.

Mines a 1990 series 1.75 (has to the series 2 loom by the look of things), but they did look like 10mm at first glance. Easily changeable for 13mm if theyre 10mm nuts, or do the studs have to be changed due to a different thread spacing?

Anthony

Studs are M8 thread in both cases, so straight swap - and I'd suggest replacing the nuts as a matter of course.

• Like 1

AlexRS2782

Miles @ Pug Racing should be able to supply a new set of the nuts/studs :)

CopperBottom

Thats good to know. Thanks buddy

Miles

Bar the 2 at the middle bottom they all come off with ease, I use a surface fitting socket and not the normal Hex one's which round them off, If the bottom 2 round off then it's really a small grinder or air saw

Sign in to follow this