• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ben205turbo

2.0 8V Turbo

ben205turbo

hi all quite simply i want more power but have been told that these engines arent reliable when you start adding power, i got 2.5" full exhaust, cossie front mount, boost controller and filter, was thinking mapping it but not sure and havent got £600 for the emerald ecu any help would be great thanks

Miles

If you haven't got any money for more power than any so called cheap mod will end in disaster, Yes a ECU is £600 ish then you need the loom, Sensors, Fitting and mapping but this will gain you over 200bhp so get saving,

• Like 2

ben205turbo

ok think that's the route im going to go down but could still be unreliable piston wise so may have to forge them.

aarontrophy

I'm running omex 600 :)

jonnyturbo

im sure someone was running around 250bhp on standard pistons

ben205turbo

where abouts best to get omex 600?

welshpug

an Omex dealer, Miles actually seems to be your closest.

Richie-Van-GTi

If your chasing more power I suggest you sit and do lots of research, costings etc before just randomly buying parts and bolting them on. Thats a sure fire way to kill an engine. Also you started saying you dont have 600 for an ecu then go on to talk about forged pistons! Set your budget, see what you can do with it and allow a contingency fund to give to a fellow member when you get stuck and need help. ;)

• Like 1

peter

what boost are you running? get it up to 1 bar and turn the fuel pressure up a bit with a dkz cam and it WILL be 220hp.

welshpug

No need to up the fuel pressure, just get it mapped properly.

peter

but that costs lots of money turnig the fuel pressure up doesnt.

I dont think its worth spending all that money on mapping tbh, what bhp would it make mapped? i doubt more than 230 so £400 for 10hp?

luke1987

220bhp just with those 3 things done? Have you got a rolling road graph to look at?

Edited by luke1987

jonnyturbo

depends on condition of engine too tbh. i have turned boost up. dkz cam n full exhaust and doesnt feel 220bhp

peter

my 8v made 218hp with

Intercooler

DKZ cam

2.5" exhaust with a very non restrictive back box

Rebuit turbo with 360 bearing (not needed)

Boost at 1.1bar (possibly faulty boost gauge)

You cant give it full throttle in first and half way through second. It also rams into the limiter in 5th gear

• Like 1

welshpug

I dont think its worth spending all that money on mapping tbh, what bhp would it make mapped? i doubt more than 230 so £400 for 10hp?

So you'd rather bodge it and make it overfuel everywhere but on full boost and knacker your engine? £400 well spent imo

• Like 1

GLPoomobile

What? Seriously?

Throw any engine together with a home brew turbo setup and you might have a bit of cheap fun for a while, until it s*it's itself and you start throwing good money after bad. But do it right - and that means proper mapping, so the engine is both fuelling and igniting correctly throughout the rev range and under different loads etc - and you will have an engine that not only lasts but is a pleasure to use. No point bragging about headline figures if the enginhe behaves like s*it everywhere else in the rev range.

I've seen your 16v turbo topic. Respect on your DIY exhaust manifold. Would be a shame if the end result is ultimately compromised.

• Like 1

Henry Yorke

The reason that there are not many 2.0 T conversions around are partially due to the fact that people fit them from an 80k donor car, put a bleed valve on to turn up the boost and then wreck the turbo which is expensive to rebuild / replace.

First step is to make sure yours is healthy and then look to improve from there :)

peter

Ran the 8v for 2 years and it was fine part load, cold mornings etc etc and never blew up.

Each to there own if they want to waste thousands for very little hp increase, the 8v engines cost £100 and takes a few hours to change. Reality is that 205s are cheap and spending half the price of the car on a remap just isnt worth it.

The lambda sorts the afrs out on part load anyway.

btw i meant you cant give it full throttle due to wheel spin...

luke1987

The lambda cant sort the afr out on part throttle as its only used at wide open throttle.

peter

no it doesnt, it doesnt do anything at WOT

luke1987

My mistake been a long day.

GLPoomobile

Ran the 8v for 2 years and it was fine part load, cold mornings etc etc and never blew up.

Each to there own if they want to waste thousands for very little hp increase, the 8v engines cost £100 and takes a few hours to change. Reality is that 205s are cheap and spending half the price of the car on a remap just isnt worth it.

The lambda sorts the afrs out on part load anyway.

btw i meant you cant give it full throttle due to wheel spin...

I totally understand the point you are trying to make about costs Vs benefit, but my point is that it's not all about total BHP figure. Cheap solutions mean compromises, which could be how the car drives, how economic it is (or isn't) and how reliable it is. All I'm saying is if all you want is something that goes bloody quick in a straight line at full throttle and is easy to replace when it blows up, then a cheap solution might well be fine for some people. If you want something that is well balanced in all areas, you've got to do it right.

It's a bit like the old way of running Mi16s on 8v management. It works, but it's s*it. That's why very few people do it these days. Or using cheap chinese tyres, "oh it's only a cheap old banger, why should I put decent tyres on it?" is a philosophy that works fine until that person needs to make an emergency manouevre and ends up crashing ;)

• Like 2

peter

The op was was more power for not a huge amount of cash. You may as well have said you cant afford to do anything and your silly for thinking you can, not really what i think this forum is about...

Obviously a big turbo and stand alone management, mapped properly would be the way to go!!! But your talking at least a £1000. Some people dont want or cant afford that.

I love my 205 but im not into wasting thousands for not much of an improvement.

Are you speaking from personal experiance? I am... It is rough but it works.. and the car is seriously quick. Unlike all these MI16S on throttle boddies making less than 200hp thats cost them £2000+ :lol:

welshpug

This forum is certainly not about bodging stuff, which is essentially what is being talked about.

peter

It works, its fast, its reliable.

Some people recomend just turning the boost up, that makes it run lean top end and i think you know what that means...

I know what id rather do, and what actually works.

Have you had a 8v turbo and ran extensive tests with a wideband lambda? I have, not really a bodge ;)