• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Ciaran76

Rear Silencer Clamp

Ciaran76

I've ordered a new rear silencer for my pug but the local mechanic has suggested ordering a new clamp, could someone point me in the right direction regarding part numbers or suppliers.

Thanks

bondo

What model do you have? Any motor factor will sort you out as they are a generic part - just need to get the correct size.

Alan77

The local mechanic can't source an exhaust clamp for you? They are available from any motorfactors or parts shop for £1-£2. A 52mm one is what you need IIRC, i've just replaced my exhaust at home. A couple of clamps, tube of joint paste and 10 minutes work, job done...

jackherer

The local mechanic can't source an exhaust clamp for you? They are available from any motorfactors or parts shop for £1-£2. A 52mm one is what you need IIRC, i've just replaced my exhaust at home. A couple of clamps, tube of joint paste and 10 minutes work, job done...

That's correct for your 1989 but the OP's '90 is the crossover year for the phase two exhaust which uses a different style clamp. Phase 1 systems are sleeve fit and a simple generic clamp of the correct diameter will hold it together but the phase two is an olive style joint and only the right clamp will work.

edit: Peugeot P/Ns: Phase 1 clamp is 1713 23 and phase 2 is 1713 56.

Edited by jackherer

Alan77

That's correct for your 1989 but the OP's '90 is the crossover year for the phase two exhaust which uses a different style clamp. Phase 1 systems are sleeve fit and a simple generic clamp of the correct diameter will hold it together but the phase two is an olive style joint and only the right clamp will work.

edit: Peugeot P/Ns: Phase 1 clamp is 1713 23 and phase 2 is 1713 56.

Apologies.

omega

joint paste?what did you use?

i was talking to a exhaust fitter the other day and he was telling me that they use silicone now not exhaust paste dont think he was winding me up but not sure.

Alan77

i was talking to a exhaust fitter the other day and he was telling me that they use silicone now not exhaust paste dont think he was winding me up but not sure.

An RTV sealant could be used i suppose, it's just that i had a tube of paste to hand at the time...

Baz

Loctite 5920 Copper sealant is very good.

Tom Fenton

I have also heard of this, although I have never tried it. Normal exhaust paste has always worked OK for me.

Ciaran76

Thanks gents, my Peugeot dealer doesn't have any in stock, will try the local motor factors.

Tom Fenton

The "fast fit" exhaust places also often have them in stock, can often be acquired for a donation to the tea fund too.

Ciaran76

Got them ordered as well as the rubbers.

EZ Tutty

have a look on ebay for a 'mikalor supra' clamp... i've used them on exhausts for a while, there really easy to fit and by far the easiest thing i've found to remove (even after a couple of years of abuse/road crap)

Tom Fenton

have a look on ebay for a 'mikalor supra' clamp... i've used them on exhausts for a while, there really easy to fit and by far the easiest thing i've found to remove (even after a couple of years of abuse/road crap)

I am sure all that is true, however they are suitable only for slip type joints, they are NOT suitable for the flange type joint found on 1990-on 205's which require the clamp as pictured above.

Tom Fenton

No it won't, it is the wrong profile. I appreciate you are only trying to be helpful, but please try to post only information that is first hand or verified facts.

welshpug

the single piece o.e type clamps I have found to be best, I don't think they were used on the 205 but most other slightly later vehicles so there should be a suitable diameter available.

used to only be from pug/citroen, but it appears Klarius and other aftermarket suppliers do them now, here's a pic

$T2eC16FHJF0E9nmFQUJ(BQRgOTgu-g~~60_12.JPG

also found on ebay for £3-4 :)

Tom Fenton

I have had mixed success with those. They are only any good if the profile of the "flare" and "cone" match exactly, as otherwise there is quite a large distance near the bolt where there is nothing covering the joint.

The two piece clamp have always done the trick for me.

Ciaran76

New exhaust fitted, got a Bosal one with the clips and rubbers for £42, local tyre depot fitted it for free as I was buying a tyre!

Massive difference to the cabin noise and performance. Delighted.

Sign in to follow this