• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jameshall88

Trouble Starting My Gti 1.9

jameshall88

I have just purchased a 205 gti H-reg after wanting one since I can remember! Finally I’m in the position where I can afford the insurance – 24yrs old!!

Unfortunately I don’t know a great deal about cars in general, so I decided to pay a little more for one in the hope that it wouldn’t come with too many costly problems. The first one I saw, I paid 2k for it, looked spot on – no rust, started, idled and ran as it should..all seemed well. And, I’m pleased to say that almost all is still well!..

However, one slight issue, which from reading a few posts is quite common, and that is that occasionally when I turn the key in the ignition to start it, nothing happens except a kind of whirring noise.. Doesn’t sound particularly damaging, just as though something isn’t quite engaging properly.. (perhaps). Happens about 1 in 5 times of starting it, when it happens I wait a few seconds and it usually starts when I retry. Trouble is it seems to be getting slightly more frequent and I’d like to know what it is if anyone could help please in determining what it could likely be?

Apart from that it’s exactly as I thought it’d be and that’s bloody fantastic!!!!! 

Regards

James

Anthony

Likely it's either the starter motor beginning to fail (usually tends to be worse when hot) or the wiring for the starter solenoid (ie what triggers the starter and makes it turn) is poor and dropping too much voltage. Both are very common problems on these cars.

(the "whirring" that you can hear is likely the fuel pump running and the fuel being pumped through the pressure regulator on the end of the fuel rail)

ScoobyJawa

Yeah mine does this - winds me up! I posted on here a while back and suggestion I've not had chance to do yet was run a new wire from the ignition direct to the starter solenoid as the current one may well be dropping voltage...

jameshall88

Thanks for the replies guys.

Neil, if you do manage to get a chance to run that wire in to the starter solonoid could you let me know how you get on with that? Does yours seem to be getting worse?

I appreciate it could also be to do with the starter motor.. will it continue to get worse at a fair rate until it eventually won't start at all, if this is the case?

Cheers

James

Carbs4me

Get a mutlimeter and test the solenoid activation wire to ensure that the starter is receiving the full 12 volts.

Easy and quick way to test the wiring.

• Like 1

ScoobyJawa

James - It got progressively worse and now its just crap all the time lol!! Have to flick the key a few times before the starter fires. I've been meaning to do it for months, might have a crack next weekend but I need to get some wire and not sure what size, and connectors too!

Carbs4me - where abouts is that wire in the engine bay to test quickly?

Ta :)

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this