• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jameswallace.

Wheel Bearing Or Gear Box Issue?

jameswallace.

I have a really horrible deep whirring sound that kicks in at about 30mph it basically just sounds like really loud road noise. and seems to come from the left side of the car.

The odd thing is that when i turn right the noise goes where as if i turn left it stays there.

any ideas?!

Tom Fenton

Quite possibly wheel bearing, I have had them go quiet when you load them up (steer away from bearing) and then other times go quiet when you unload them (steer towards bearing).

Try jacking up and giving it a good spin.

jameswallace.

iv jacked it up and it doesnt seem to wobble sideways or anything? what can i look out for if it is a wheel bearing? or is it just easiest to take it apart and have a look?

Tom Fenton

There is nothing you will see without destroying the wheel bearing in the process. You need to spin the wheel and listen for any grumbling noise.

Miles

While spinning the wheel if you can without risking injury, Place your hand on the strut, you will feel and roughness in the bearing this way

jameswallace.

Could it be anything to do with the diff bearing? Anyone had any experience of what it sounds like?

Miles

Very rarely give any issues, Normal use see's well over 300k on them

Sign in to follow this