• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Karl

Gearbox Problems On Gti6

Karl

hi there

straight to the point: ive put 2 gearboxes in my 205 gti6 in the last month and they have both broke spitting cogs around my engine bay i have a 1.6 205 so i believe i need a 1.6 box because of the drive shafts?? both have been be1 gearboxes what are the difference between be3 and be1 could i put a be3 in and what would i need to change if i did and would it be any better?

ultimatley this is gettin boring changing gearboxes so relly i need to upgrade it and i rekon tht the new £260 lightened flywheel is f***** so just after a few sugestions ???

please help manyh thanks in advance

pug_ham

What are you doing to blow up gearboxes so easily?

Are you using the correct spec & amount of gearoil?

A be1 gearbox will be getting on now (its over 20 years since they were last fitted to a Pug) & could have sky high miles so using such an old box is bound to be a risk.

The main difference of the 1.6 driveshafts is the hub end, you can use any box, either 1.6 or 1.9 easily but to use the later boxes from either the xsara VTS or GTI-6 you need to change the inner cv joint as the diff is different & the standard inner joint too long to seat fully home.

You can change to a Be3 gearbox, to do so you'll need to swap the clutch cable, pedal & release bearing but otherwise its a straight fit.

You shouldn't need an uprated box to run a GTi-6 engine, there are plenty of people using the original 5 speed box from a 205 without issue, Be1 or Be3

Paul_13

Peugeot has my seal of approval on gearboxes :lol: Haven't blown one up .... yet

kyepan

perhaps something else is out of balance and rattling it all to hell.

chipstick

So they were both 1.6 BE1 boxes that you have broken?

Karl

yes both in the last month massive hole in top of bell housing in exactly same place ang cogs all over my engine bay

Karl

so best to stick with a 1.6 box anybody know of 1 for sale tht isnt 'abused'

16v205

Stick a 1.6 be3 gearbox on it.

I used to pop early be1 gearboxs far too regularly. The planet gears on the diff used to come through the bell housing making a right mess of the clutch. This was years ago on a standard mi16, swapped to be3 and the trouble was gone. I never did see an intact be1 diff to compare to a be3 to see if it was just coincedence or a design change.

Rich

Karl

ha ha ok mate sounds like that i have the same problem as you had so i will be upgrading to a be3 i hope its going to be to much trouble

welshpug

Stick a 1.6 be3 gearbox on it.

I used to pop early be1 gearboxs far too regularly. The planet gears on the diff used to come through the bell housing making a right mess of the clutch. This was years ago on a standard mi16, swapped to be3 and the trouble was gone. I never did see an intact be1 diff to compare to a be3 to see if it was just coincedence or a design change.

Rich

its the same diff, so this be3 over be1 stuff is naff, they're the same bearings too, I would imagine you've just been unlucky with the age of the boxes, just taken my 150k mile BE1 box apart and its all pretty good bar one planet gear tooth.

later diffs in higher torque applications like TD's and 10J4's have larger planet gears.

Edited by welshpug

Karl

ok then thanks for that welshpug so i will be sticking to a be1 thn haha decisions decisions i just hope my new flywheel aint busted up

Sign in to follow this