• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Sinbad

Rebuilt 1.6 Running Lean

Sinbad

I am in the process of running in my rebuilt 1.6 8v engine and last night i put my foot down when the car was warm and it felt flat as a fart.

It also feels really hot under the bonnet so today i have whipped a plug out and as i expected it was a pale colour.

I advanced the dizzy and it feels stronger,but obviously isnt getting enough fuel perhaps??

Could the CTS be failed?

Any other things to try??

Also on a seperate note i cant get my oil temp gauge working,any ideas how to test it and or the wiring??

Cheers,Andy.

dcc

bridge the connector to the engine block, and the dash should register as full. mioght have it wrong way round with the sender/sensor.

just thinking outside the box, a friend converted a 1.9 to a 2.0 gti6, which felt flat, it was because of a dead fuel pump.

that was on 16v though. your issue could potentially be any number of things. Have as search and you will find what you need to make a list to check.

kyepan

as above, check your fuel pressure with a gauge, can be bought cheaply on ebay and placed inline, you want 3 bar, and a smidge more when at idle. Also check it under load when you can see the gauge, as load will ask the fuel pump to keep the pressure when it's flow is higher. Then you will know if it's something fuel related, such as a dying fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, blocked fuel filter, etc.

More simply, drain the petrol out of the tank if it's been sitting for ages, and put in some fresh super, try it again to see if the petrol was off.

I've had a lean ish Mi-16 that was sorted out by changing the fuel pressure regulator.

cheers

J

Sinbad

Thanks for the replies,the gauge for the oil temp works on the dash when earthed and when connected-doesnt lol

The fuel should be decent as its only done 70miles since rebuild and i put £30 worth in,was almost empty on 1st start up.It is only 95ron though.

I'll have to get one of those gauges and go from there.

Am i right in thinking the process of elimination will be.......

1) Check fuel pressure

2) Test (how??) The CTS

3) Test injectors

Anything else??

welshpug

that's about right for the oil temp, they do take quite some time to warm up, especially if there's that much fuel being dumped in.

Sinbad

I have a lack of fuel though??

Sinbad

Just been having a tidy up and seen that the reg i have on my rail says 2.5bar on it.....

Is this the wrong one??

Basically the engine is built up from the best parts from 3 different engines,i used a rail i got with another engine for spares.

Did they all come with 3 bar regs? or am i right in thinking this reg and rail i have fitted could be off the earlier 1.6 with 105bhp and have a lower pressure reg??

Tom Fenton

2.5 bar reg is off the low comp 1.9 I believe?

In any case you need a 3 bar one, easy enough to swap over just undo the M6 bolts and pop it off.

Sinbad

Just as i thought,thanks everyone,cant understand how i have ended up with that on,it was fitted to a rail with the blue injectors on i had spare.

kyepan

Let us know how you got on when it was changed

Sinbad

Much better,is definately a big improvement!

• Like 2

pug_ham
2) Test (how??) The CTS

Check its resistance at various temperatures, from the injection basics article on the main website;

Engine temperature sensor testing: Remove the 2-pin connector that's under the distributor, near the SAD. Measure the resistance between the terminals, and compare it to the following table:

Temperature Resistance

+10 Celsius 8.2 - 11.0 KOhm

+20 Celsius 2.28 - 2.72 KOhm

+40 Celsius 1.0 - 1.5 KOhm

+60 Celsius 600 - 700 Ohm

+80 Celsius 290 - 370 Ohm

+100 Celsius 180 - 220 Ohm

g

Sinbad

Thanks graham, i printed off a pdf from someones link on this site via a search.

Done 30miles in it this aft and gave it a little blast up to 4500rpm,really does shift compared to how it was,these are great cars to drive.

Edited by Sinbad

Sign in to follow this