• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
fordygti

Water And Oil Lose?

fordygti

My mi16 engine in my 205 is using a little bit of oil, but a hell of a lot of water. It gets really hot, expecialy in traffic. Having to fill it up every couple of uses. Any idea what this could be?

Thanks.

Anthony

If there's no evidence of leaking, possible head gasket would be my concern as high coolant loss (usually with a pressurised cooling system) is the first symptom that I tend to see with HG failures on XU's.

A little oil consumption is possibly nothing to worry about and is fairly normal.

fordygti

This was my first concern. They is a small bit of orangy coloured gunk in the oil filer cap but none anywhere else or on the dipstick.

welshpug

time to stop using it and strip it apart IMO, otherwise you'll just cook the poor thing and have a pile of scrap!

fordygti

I already have. Just asking if anyone can maybe pin point a problem before I take it apart.

welshpug

not without seeing it :lol:

fordygti

Was worth an ask, I meant a rough idea with symptoms. Any other tell tale signs of a hg failure other than the obvious. It has had a recent gf change before I brought it, its in the paper work.

Anthony

Check whether the cooling system is pressurising when running (coolant hoses going hard, pressure in the header tank before the engine is even properly upto temperature) as that's a sure sign, and if you've a compression tester you can give that a shot, but often in the early stages HG failures don't cause compression loss.

Even better, take it to a garage and get them to do a hydrocarbon test in the header tank

Rarely do I see oil/coolant mixing on XU head gasket failures, but some mayo in the breathers is normal on cars that don't get used much for long journeys and/or driven hard to get the oil temperature up. It's rarely an issue in summer, but there can be quite a bit in winter.

A recent HG change before you bought it (assuming that's fairly recently) is even more suspicious frankly.

fordygti

I'll have another check tonite, try that method. I've not had it long. The hg was done with the conversion in January.

dcc

Have you had a check everywhere along the water route. inc heater matrix?

I had an epic leak, about 1ltr per day. new heatermatrix and orings cured it.

fordygti

I did about 3 weeks ago, I had a leak from the header tank which I fixed, but will look again as this is a different situation.

sensualt101

as already said from those symptoms i would suspect the head gasket has failed :(

fordygti

I have soon oil seeping from the rocker cover breather pipe, could this be anything to do with the problem? Have bleed the cooling system with new coolant, it seems much better. But when I accelerate and reach about 6000 rpm the water light flashes on and then off again when I change gear or let off. As before could this also be related?

Thanks.

fordygti

Have confirmed the head gasket is gone. Cheers for the advice guys.

omri617

Even better, take it to a garage and get them to do a hydrocarbon test in the header tank

what kind of test is this?

i ask cause i am swapping the inlet manifold and i see some coolant all around the block. even it sometimes comes out of some

holes covered by the inlet manifold.

fordygti

After having the thing apart and prssure tested we found it also has a large crack in the head. lucky i have a spare head, which i have had the bigger valves ground in, had a skim and had it ported and polished. Hopefully things will be ok when its a back together.

Sign in to follow this