• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
JeffR

Breather Hoses To Catch Can

JeffR

I'm thinking of changing the way I've had the breather hoses venting from the engine. I realised after spewing oil all over the passenger side tyres I had the catch can mounted too low. This time I'll mount it so its above the cam cover & oil fill breather pipes.

Anyway,I had the breather from the cam cover & the oil fill lid breather feed into an external catch can about 1 litre capacity-so two vents from the engine.

I think a better alternative after having looked at the standard set up, would be to vent the cam cover outlet back to the oil fill pipe branch down near the sump as standard with the oil being able to return quickly to the sump & any fumes/vapour being picked up from the vent in the lid (2) then into the external catch can. See pic.

Mi16OilHoses1.jpg

Any thought/experiences of breathing the engine any better?

petert1345402284

Adrian and I are making new breather systems at present. Adrian is making XU9J4, I'm making XU10J4. I am also nervous about taking a breather directly off the cam cover. I had an 8V fill a catch tank in a few laps with that setup. Our plan is remake the original system in aluminium/silicon hose, with a catch tank that has a return back to the sump. Thus just an extension of the original setup.

I've been running a road car the same as "new set up" for some time. It's amazing how nice and clean the intake is!

JeffR

Glad, in a way that the same problem has occurred with others venting from the cam cover. I guess it indicates that's not the way to go. Don't want to vent back into the airbox as the air temp sensor will start to give unreliable readings once covered in oil vapour.

Any idea Peter when or if they'll become available? I could get a spigot welded in to a small metal pipe as a joiner for the cam cover hose & run the fill hose through it.

petert1345402284
Glad, in a way that the same problem has occurred with others venting from the cam cover. I guess it indicates that's not the way to go. Don't want to vent back into the airbox as the air temp sensor will start to give unreliable readings once covered in oil vapour.

Any idea Peter when or if they'll become available? I could get a spigot welded in to a small metal pipe as a joiner for the cam cover hose & run the fill hose through it.

Ask Adrian if he'll buy some more parts and we'll make three.

James504

I have your "new setup" on my 205 SI both as an 8v and 16v. I can only echo the comment of not running the rocker cover breather to the catch can . They always fill up the can in a few km's of driving (my 3l rb26 was notoriously bad at this before I changed to the mines cover baffles.) Ideally again as mentioned the can needs to return to the sump, as it saves having to empty the can every month.

JeffR

Thanks for the suggestion Peter-Adrian is going to make one for me as well.

It seems a really common mistake when people tinker with the engine breathing by venting the rocker/cam cover to a catch can. I know I was guilty of of it thinking I'd made an improvement! :huh:

engine killer1345402286

my modified Mi engine also suffer from spewing oil even during the long dyno section. the pressure build up inside the camcover is pretty high, so having a breather directly connected to is will just result in an oily camcover.

i have modified the filler cap as follow and it helps, hope it will help

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?s...p;#entry1234371

Sign in to follow this