• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
cybernck

406 Coupe Brembos On 1.9 Hubs

cybernck

while waiting for some custom hoses and wheel spacers to arrive so i could fit the brakes to my T16,

i wondered if they'd fit a 205 GTI 1.9. Kev-G told me they're only good for 283 mm discs but i wanted

to try it myself, so i got a spare hub out of my garage and fitted the caliper and indeed, only a GTI-6

discs would fit (diameter wise).

but the problem is they're the wrong offset (touching the outside brake pad) which could be solved with

some grinding of the mounting points, but more importantly the GTI-6 discs are quite a bit thinner than

the 305 mm ones so there's a problem.

so the question is, what discs could be used? perhaps some custom ones?

other than that, i don't think the brakes would fit under 15" wheels.

btw, this also means the 283mm T16 brakes won't fit my GTI straight on :P.

Guest Admin

Nik get a picture of the caliper fitted to the hub with the disc, i'm struggling to visualise this despite miles explaining to me twice, if it's how I think then I believe i've got a solution but I need picutres...

jacobs53

i bet it would look nice with brembo on the calipers so everyone could see..

post some pictures!

cheers lee

Guest Kev-G

cybernck,

So you need a wider disc with more off-set?? 283mm, same thickness as a 406 Coupe disc with the same off-set as the 406 Coupe.

A std. Peugeot disc will do the trick (although it is not 100% thick enough the off-set is slightly less to compensate - something like 1mm ea. side).

Come-on....you have everything on hand to work it out :D

Custom discs would be better, but would cost much more (and you still need to work out what you need :rolleyes: ).

As for the T16 calipers, new GTi-6 yokes from Peugeot will do the trick (approx. £100) to fit to your 205.

You need a min. of 16" wheels, but your biggest prob. is the width of the calipers - Mount the caliper/283mm disc to the hub and measure the distance from the wheel mounting face of the disc to the height of the caliper - You need a wheel with some serious space behind the spokes.

How much did you get your calipers for?

Cheers,

Kev-G

jacobs53

sorry if im sounding a bit dense here, but can't you use the 406 coupe brake disks?

or have i missed something here?

reply and put me straight

cheers lee

Guest JERAM

sorry offset should be same as 406 coupe.

Lee, caliper will not mount up with 406 coupe disc as 305mm disc does not let the caliper align with the mounting points on the hub

cybernck

i meant to take some pics explaining everything, but my dad took the camera with him :rolleyes:.

what i found it is, although that disc offset difference is only 1 mm, disc

thickness difference is about 6 mm (3 mm per side) - 28 mm vs. 22 mm.

and not just that, but the disc isn't centered in the caliper but it's sitting

just at the outer pad, so it's not good at all.

basically, to fit 305 mm discs, you'd need a simple spacer looking like:

[=]===[=]

or perhaps

[=]===[=]

[=]

you mount the caliper below the left end and the hub below the other end.

i'll take some pics of brembos bolted on and 283 mm discs in place, and a

pic of 305 mm discs in place, and a caliper placed where it would need to be.

jacobs53

If someone gave me a 3 dimensioned drawing of the spacing plates i might be able to make some up for you.

cheers lee

Guest Admin

So you need some adaptors to move the calipers outwards and a plate that fit's behind the disk?

Adi

Longmans did a kit for the 206 which was mainly engine work, but also included suspension and brakes.

For the brakes they used the Brembo 406 calipers but fitted 278mm discs.

Also I don't know whether I'm stating the obvious here....but there are 2 different discs used for the 283mm disc. One is 22mm thick......and the other is 26mm thick.

Guest Kev-G

Adi,

Obvious to you maybe :rolleyes:

cybernck,

I think using the 305mm discs and spacers might mean that you have a bigger choice of wheels (they should still fit under 16" though)

Kev-G

Adi
Obvious to you maybe

It wasn't meant that way :D

I thought it was something that maybe was common knowledge...... :rolleyes:

Miles

Just to stick a spanner in the works, You could use the old Gp'A' 1.9 frt Hubs, These used the 1.6 offset but with the 1.9 Driveshaft

Problem is, these are somewhat RARE :rolleyes:

Guest madaxgt

just read the above and had an idea but probably not possible otherwise it would've been done.

BUT could you not get a 1.6 hub and press out the bearing and press in a 1.9 bearing and drive flange or is the O.D's of the bearings different. Effectively giving you a Grp.A hub or am i going mad. :rolleyes:

Just thought of this as an ax could be converted to a 4 stud by doing this with saxo bits.

Guest Admin

Interesting idea, anybody know if this is feasable.

Nik still waiting for pics mate, get a move on :-)

Guest Kev-G

madaxgt,

The bearing OD's are diff.

All,

Adi has spotted the solution - The 406 Coupe Brembos can be fitted to a 1.9 hub using std. Peugeot discs.....

Even when you work this out the sheer size of the caliper limits the wheel choice.

Cheers,

Kev-G

cybernck

andyy: still haven't taken any pics as i'm ill at the moment ;). anyway,

you wouldn't need disc spacers for 305 mm discs, as you would be able

to fine tune the offset using caliper spacers/adaptor.

adi and kev-g: i'm not aware of thicker discs. what are these off? to they

have the same offset as 'thinner' discs? either way, i think they would be

offset issues (even more so with a thicker discs). it may work ok with 1.6

hubs, i wanted to try that out as well.

i'll keep you informed.

Adi
i'm not aware of thicker discs. what are these off?

I was aware that the 206/307 used thicker 26mm 283mm discs as opposed to the 306 22mm discs.

But if you have a look at the above link (www.exford.co.uk) it gives a full list of different discs and dimensions.

The 26mm discs seem to be used on the newer cars......from about 98 onwards. They are also used on a few Citroens as usual.

I don't think there should be an offset issue......as there have been quite a few people that have used the new 206GTI180 brakes (26mm) on different models of Peugeot/Citreon without a problem. I'm not aware of any issue with the 205 though.

There is a Bremsport brake kit that offers a 278mm disc for the Peugeots. This too uses a four pot caliper. I think this is where Longmans may have got their disc from as no other Peugeot/Citroen uses that size of disc.

Guest JERAM
Guest JERAM

and some more

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-10/457...brearbrembo.jpg

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-10/457...3/disc283mm.jpg

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-10/457...cfront283mm.jpg

these are mounted on 306 hub same as 1.9 gti with pug 283mm disc redaly avail

from anymotor factor. the big prob as said before is getting a wheel that clears

the front of the caliper we have tried a few and only the oz wheel clears so far.

cybernck

are you using those thicker discs jeram, doesn't look like it?

mine look a few mm's more offsetted to the right hand side of the caliper on the first pic.

probably because i haven't tightened everything all the way, but anyway, any missalignment

would surely cause some problems, wouldn't it?

Guest JERAM

cybernck those discs are 26mm, 406 discs are 28mm standard,the caliper is bolted up tight if you look at the centre line on the caliper you will see that it aligns in the centre of the disc the only diference is 1mm per side smaller than original disc.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-10/457...odiscspads1.jpg

you could always get a disc made up to the correct thickness but this would cost ££

where as those discs are £35 each (much cheapness) there is also squeel shims to

be fitted to the pads that are not in the pictures, in my oppinion these discs are the best/cheapest way to allow you to use brembo callipers on 205/309 without any major modifications.

regards

graeme

Guest Admin

I must have missed all this (blind old me) So your suggesting using 306 hubs?? which 306 exactly? GTI-6??

And also what discs are they, 306/406?

Sign in to follow this