• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
cammmy

306 Springs On 405 Struts

cammmy

Hi Guys

Have begun weight reducing the 4bie in preperation for racing, as a result my ride is a bit higher than it was (and maybe rolls a bit more than it did but not sure yet). I am looking for lowering springs but finding good one's here in NZ for the 405 can be a bit tricky. I think I can get 306 units from the dude who I will be buying a strut brace from and was wondering. Since it appears that 306 struts fit in a 405, are they pretty much the same unit? Will 306 lowering springs fit on the 405 struts? I believe my suspension is standard although all I know for sure is it has Koni's on it.

Ta

Cam

welshpug

they will do but bear in mind that the 405 uses VERY long springs with a fair amount of preload, 306 ones may be a tad soft.

cammmy

bummer. Oh well, hopefully be able to get some coilovers sorted soon then.

On another note then. Does anybody know the dimensions of the standard Mi16 or 4bie springs? If I can't get coilovers soon I would like to lower the car in the mean-time. The supplier has none left for the 4bie but he thinks they are the same as another unit and has askde for the dimensions. Car is a bit soft and high after the weight reduction and it will only get worse once A/C and excess wiring is gone, lexan window kit put in etc etc

Ta

Edited by cammmy

KRISKARRERA
they will do but bear in mind that the 405 uses VERY long springs with a fair amount of preload, 306 ones may be a tad soft.

But I've got 306 GTI6 springs and they're free length is same as a 405 mi16 spring, give or take a few mms.

welshpug

really? intriguing Kriss, could you measure the diameter of the coils, I shall compare them to some 306 eibachs and diseasel springs and standard 405 ones then.

same number of coils?

I can ask PhillipM on a vauge guesstimation of the spring rate then.

KRISKARRERA

Yeah Ok I'll do a full dimensionings on it tomorrow and report back.

cammmy

Did you manage to do this Kris?

Ta

JeffR

I measured both 1.9 Mi16 & GTi6 springs a while back & while their free length is similar, (the 15mm difference likely due to age) the wire diameter of the Mi16 springs was thicker (+12%)

See- http://forum.405mi16.com/index.php?showtopic=1116

You could always have your OEM springs re-tempered to a lower ride height, or since you intend to race it, wait until the GAZ coil-over kits become available. :D

Edited by KRISKARRERA

cammmy

I'm working on the kit atm. Seems to be a lack of people able to test it though and they don't want to ship them until they know the spring rate is right. I've volunteered but whether GAZ can be arsed sending them out to me to test I don't know. I really really really want to get it sorted before the track day in may

Lowering springs would be a temporary measure if I can't get coil-overs sorted quickly.

JeffR

I'm also waiting on them. I also thought it would have been easy to get them tested in Europe. :huh:

Btw-Is your 4x4 a 1.9? If so, I hope your aware they're prone to oil starvation on track days.

DRTDVL1345402287

I've pointed that out to him a few times... He's looking at getting some of Peter T's sump stuff.

cammmy

Interesting thread, thanks. Will be looking to do a proper wet sump setup. Maybe dry sump one day but I don't think I'm fast enough for that atm.

Plenty of people who will test, apparently they just aren't able to swap them out soon enough.

cammmy

Was planning to do this along with baffle, extended sump/pickup and maybe windage tray.

"Both the 2L spring and 26T sprocket should be treated as mandatory for any XU rebuild"

But I would be doing it without rebuilding the rest of the motor (as mine has been recon'd recently). Is it possible to do it in-place? Or is a motor drop pretty much the only way?

DRTDVL1345402287

Greg Kents got the peugeot sport springs in stock if you want to call him i can bring it down for you...

cammmy

Suspension or oil? When were you planning on being down here? I'm going away for new years but depending on when you're heading back up I could probably get back early enough.

rodionski

Hey guys!

Are you all saying that the 306 GTI-6 springs are softer than the stock Mi16 ones? I really find this hard to believe! Especially taking into account the fact that the front end of the 306 GTI-6 is MUCH heavier than the one in the 405 Mi16.

Furthermore, D.B. 205 had already tried fitting the 306 springs to a 405 and said they are STIFFER than those from the 405.

Are you SURE of this then?

Because I was about to order some 306 track day springs lowed by 60mm!

Many thanks!!

JeffR

Hey rodionski,

I re-checked the wire diameter of said springs with vernier calipers-

GTi6-12.65mm Colour coded yellow/white

Mi16 (phase 1 1.9litre) 13.25mm Colour coded Double light blue

Cheers

welshpug

I measured the free height of some standard 306 rallye springs, same or similar to a gti6 as far as I know, they came out at 380mm, forgot to measure the coil diameter though.

Eibach ones had a 300mm uncompressed height and sat roughly 30mm lower on the car, same number of coils.

DRTDVL1345402287
Suspension or oil? When were you planning on being down here? I'm going away for new years but depending on when you're heading back up I could probably get back early enough.

Oil Pump Springs sorry... It was good meeting up with you... Next time i'll bring the 205 down...

welshpug

how much do they fleece you for them 6 bar oil pump springs that you can get from a Peugeot dealer for £1.50 odd here?

DRTDVL1345402287

I can't remember what Greg charged me, it wasn't too much. It was under $30 NZD (13.82 GBP) i know that for certain, unfortantly Peugeot NZ don't like selling them for that little over here - they don't like selling anything that cheap here as there isn't the market for it. We always have to pay a premium for anything. The biggest killer is shipping - A friend just got a forge intercooler kit for his VXR Astra for i think 450 pounds, and after anouther friend did a deal on the shipping it still came to 350 pounds for shipping vs the 500 he was looking at.

When it comes into NZ we also get hit for tax on the cost of the goods + the cost of shipping also.

JeffR

Geez, that pricing is highway robbery!

Going back through my invoices, the spring was $A3.65 & with the bigger crank sprocket & longer chain $A104 all up.

Have you looked at sourcing from Aust?

DRTDVL1345402287

I got the spring at the same time i was getting a whole bunch of other work done and i can't remember the broken down costs...

Sign in to follow this