• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
cammmy

Radiator Upgrade In Nz

cammmy

Hey Guys

Anyone in NZ or Aussie know where to get a good, uprated rad? Think I have a bit of a leak in mine as it leaks when the temp goes up a bit or I drive enthusiastically. I figure If I'm gonna replace it I better spend a bit more and get a better one.

Have had an offer to have one made from all alloy but it's 900NZD plus freight which seems more than usual. Anyone know where I can get one for less? (or is that the normal price for all alloy?).

Cheers

Tony1345402284
Hey Guys

Anyone in NZ or Aussie know where to get a good, uprated rad? Think I have a bit of a leak in mine as it leaks when the temp goes up a bit or I drive enthusiastically. I figure If I'm gonna replace it I better spend a bit more and get a better one.

Have had an offer to have one made from all alloy but it's 900NZD plus freight which seems more than usual. Anyone know where I can get one for less? (or is that the normal price for all alloy?).

Cheers

Do you know for sure that it is the radiator that is leaking? A pressure test will tell you for sure, there are a lot of places in the system where a leak can occur.

The standard spec radiator is adequate for a standard (or near) engine and you should be able to land one for less than $900. European automotive imports in Aus would be worth a try if you really need a new radiator.

Tony

cammmy

I'm not 100% that it is a leak. I was told by a garage that it was but to be honest I don't trust them at all. They wanted to charge me a grand to replace the bushes in the rear susp because "when we have it on the hoist the rear wheels wobble around". my brother (who is an engineer) said "Yes, hydraulics do that when there is no load on them" Hasn't failed a WOF and my current Pug mechanic says they are fine, plus they charged me a hundred bucks for "tuning" and made it slower, current mechanic fixed a load of air leaks. So yes, don't trust that garage at all.

Anyhow, getting back on topic. i'm not 100% it's a leak but figured I will probably want to tune at some point so if I need to replace the rad I may as well get an uprated one now. When I drive enthusiastically for more than a couple minutes it seems to dump coolant from somewhere I can't see (on the rad) when I stop. This normal?

cammmy

Awesome, this one look like an OEM replacement for a 4bie?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-236482762.htm

Been told $500 for an OEM replacement from pug mechanic (I believe these are alloy?)

Cheers

Cam

cammmy

Have looked into it. This rad is 24mm thick, is the standard part not 45mm? Unless this one is much more efficient than the standard unit I think it may not be enough?

Am I correct?

Cheers

Mr Teflon

i got a thicker one for mine - 37mm from memory.

Something to do with an A/C equipped car?

cammmy

Quite possibly, mine is A/C.

i got a thicker one for mine - 37mm from memory.

Something to do with an A/C equipped car?

cammmy

Yeah that looks like my rad. Where did you get it? 140 quid is not an exorbitant price for a good rad here, depends on shipping though I guess.

Edited by cammmy

Mr Teflon

Got it from my friendly backstreet motor factors, Forum, Dean Street here in Coventry.

cammmy

Do you have an e-mail address for them?

Cheers

Mr Teflon

No - they're old skool! No computers - they've only started accepting cards in the last couple of years!

Fantastic place though - used them for years and years, and my father before me.

Here's their contact details

cammmy

Ha, that's awesome. I'll look into them.

Cheers

Sign in to follow this