• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ryan13961345402285

Stiff Steering

ryan13961345402285

Hi guys,

been a while since I've posted here (no pc for ages).

I'm having a problem with the steering on the Mi16 at the minute, just wondering if anyone has had a similar problem.

When turning a corner the steering seems a bit stiffer than before (more noticable on a sharper turn at lower speeds), plus after exiting the corner the steering is reluctant to self-centre again.

I've changed the power steering belt as the old one was way too loose but it hasn't made any difference. Have checked the top mounts and they seem ok. Anyone ever have a problem like this before?

I'm thinking it's either a problem with the rack/pump (hopefully not), or the universal joint between the column and rack.

Thanks

Ryan

Jer309GTi

Give the ball joints a check while your looking over the car as knackered ones might cause the problem. Also a silly one, but possible... tyres pressures too low?

ryan13961345402285

Yeah gonna give the joints a check whilst I'm at it. Hopefully it's something simple.

Tyre pressures etc all fine, and it doesn't seem to be getting any worse. Trying to drive as little as possible until i find out what the cause is though

Haze

i too have had the problem, i will be looking at the ball joints then gettting a wheel alignment as ive just had my rack reco'd

Miles

Had this years and years ago, the inner Steering U/J failed, replaced it under warranty (Give's you an idea how long ago) and all was fine

Sign in to follow this