• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
chris 417 mi

Gti-6 Into 405

chris 417 mi

As the topic suggests, has anyone done this yet ? i am currently underway with this & just wondering if anyone has completed one & what to expect.

Only issues i have so far is the 6 manifold is extriemely close to the subframe & arb, hope i wont need to fit a standard xu10j4r manifold as it was a pain to get this one in place :(

JeffR

Hi Chris,

I think your arb will be a problem using the GTi6 exh man. It's further back on the 306.

I tried that exhaust on my 1.9 alloy engine :(

Miles' 4-2-1 may be an alternative 'tho.

Good luck

vicki mi16 babe

Been considering dropping a 6 lump into the slag so will be interested to see how you get on and how easy it is.....then i'll decide lol

JeffR

Thinking more about this.

Since the GTi6 block is 11mm(approx) taller than the alloy engine, that extra height may work in your favour as the manifold pipes will be up a little higher & may clear the arb.

You might still have an issue with them clearing the firewall 'tho, but a big hammer could solve that problem!

Edited by JeffR

welshpug

the manifold would be the ONLY problem with fitting the RS engine, seeing as the iron block already resides in there as standard in a P2.

you may even get the 6 speed box in without losing lock...

chris 417 mi

ive gone the boring route and just used a 1900 gti be3 box :P

If the manifold doesnt clear ill prob just use the xu10j4r manifold i have in my garage instead, would rather use the 6 manifold though :(

Will post up how this is looking when i get change to get back in the garage as its been snowing quite a bit up here and its freezin in there :P

What should this be like performance wise when complete as a 405 is slightly lighter than a306 isnt it ?

calvinhorse
ive gone the boring route and just used a 1900 gti be3 box :P

If the manifold doesnt clear ill prob just use the xu10j4r manifold i have in my garage instead, would rather use the 6 manifold though :(

Will post up how this is looking when i get change to get back in the garage as its been snowing quite a bit up here and its freezin in there :P

What should this be like performance wise when complete as a 405 is slightly lighter than a306 isnt it ?

come on mate, dont give up that easily! :P if you can make it fit you'll be the first person i know of to do it!

like you said, from pushing a 306 s16 and a 306 rallye about id say they are deffinatly heavier than a 405 which i can push on my own :)

do you have the six box?

chris 417 mi

No mate unfortunatley :( , heres some pics i took tonight of how it looks at the moment

Before it was fitted:

engine1-1.jpg

DSC00416.jpg

DSC00415.jpg

DSC00414.jpg

DSC00418.jpg

DSC00420.jpg

DSC00419.jpg

Just need to get the time to get stuck in & get it sorted

calvinhorse

looks like a top job! what model is that?

is there no room to reangle the exhaust manifold?

chris 417 mi

405 gtx auto , 2.0 8 valve :P , was a low mileage car with a few new parts & few owners :D

Gonna have a look when i have time, been real bust atm :(

Jer309GTi

(Chris, can you enter your location into your profile please. Thanks :) )

calvinhorse
405 gtx auto , 2.0 8 valve :P , was a low mileage car with a few new parts & few owners :D

well make bloody time lol!!!!

what other plans have you got for it?

chris 417 mi

Did a bit more on sun, car is now back on all 4 wheels with new track rod ends , anti roll bar links & awating new ball joints. Auto brake pedal is now out, would of fitted manual clutch cable & pedal but im missing a linkage i need whilch ill get from pug at some point this week :P .

what other plans have you got for it?[

Well it already has the le mans 1/2 leather alcantra interior & spoiler so other than fitting the arches & driving it ...nothing much :rolleyes: will prob be selling it sometime next year too tbh as i have my eyes on an rs4/evo9 :P

well make bloody time lol!!!!

what other plans have you got for it?

chris 417 mi

Engine is pretty much in & all plumbed up but i have a slight problem with 1 or 2 hoses and parts :

DSC00445.jpg

hose with what looks like a vapour pipe to the charcoal canister in the wing ... where does this pipe up too now ?

DSC00444.jpg

main water hoses (thermostat housing to rad ) the one in the middle is the original 405 hose which fots the rad fine ...but doesnt mate up to the stat housing very well, the one on the right is a 406 hose which fits the thermo housing perfectly but doesn mate up to the rad. Options ive considered are either joinign the ends of the two with a pipe in the middle ...or removing one of the ends and fitting it to the other pipe if this is possible.

another shot of the bay

DSC00443.jpg

gingerscotsman

Looks like a great job you are doing there. Be interesting to see how this performs once its on the road.

welshpug

just a quick one Chris, are you using the original mounting stud and bracket off the old gearbox?

I'm pretty sure the 405 one has a small bracket between it and the stud, which means if you used the original 205 box it wont be sitting quite right, as the bracket that's bolted to the inner wing is in a different place on the 2.0 engines.

chris 417 mi
just a quick one Chris, are you using the original mounting stud and bracket off the old gearbox?

I'm pretty sure the 405 one has a small bracket between it and the stud, which means if you used the original 205 box it wont be sitting quite right, as the bracket that's bolted to the inner wing is in a different place on the 2.0 engines.

yeah we kinda noticed that when we fitted it and the engine was higher at one side than the other (autos have different gearbox bdy mounting points too), all sorted now with a bracket from a manual and the engine sits correctly. It also appears to be very close to actually clearin the arb too, litlerally 2mm more and it would, might have to add a few small washers or spacers to sort this completely!

Only problem i have now is the rad ... need to find a unit with only 2 inlets (1 at bottom from the block at the back of the engine & 1 to the thrermo housing )or 3 and blank one off, and the air filter fitment ... will put some pics up later.

Silky

Did you have to get it re-mapped at all ?

Don't suppose you could put up a list of all bits needed for this conversion ?

chris 417 mi

car is still sat in my garage at the moment, is a lot more complete now and only needs :

1) gear linkages sorting (have all new linkages but the brackets on the box have the old inserts stuck on from the old links)

2) exhaust downpipe cutting a section out and rewelding

3) put some oil in the gearbox

Other slightly larger problem is the ecu, i have had the motor fire over and run (very rough and for only 30-40 secs due to no exhaust etc ) which i managed by putting a permanent live to pins 34 & 35 (35 had 5v and 34 didnt have a wire but does now). Ufortunatley in moment of madness i put 12v to pin 36 and think i may have locked the ecu as the engine will not fire over, Ecu is bosch 5.2

Don't suppose you could put up a list of all bits needed for this conversion ?

Yes mate once its all sorted will put up a list but its not a great deal u will need tbh :)

welshpug

gti6 ecu is Magneti marelli not Bosch :huh:

chris 417 mi
gti6 ecu is Magneti marelli not Bosch

Yeah im using the bosch ecu off a 306 xsi as it was the closest match to the loom i was using (405 xu7) which meant all that was required was a few wires changed on the ecu pin side and not a full loom resplice :), sounds complex but its worked really well (so far ) :rolleyes:

snave1345402286

I have succeeded into placing the manifold gti16 onto my 405mi16. .the best way is to put citroen berlingo stabiliser bar instead the original mi16 one ! But My mechanic has heated and bend a little the end curve of the manifold

27122008175.jpg

chris 417 mi
gti6 ecu is Magneti marelli not Bosch

Yeah ive used the bosch ecu from a 306 xsi and the engine loom from a 405 xu7, allowed the loom to just plug into the car plugs and was the right connector for the ecu. A couple of wires had to be added to the ecu pins (ahout 3-4 ) but nothing major, all it means now is it just needs a remap by a company called automark near me :P

calvinhorse
I have succeeded into placing the manifold gti16 onto my 405mi16. .the best way is to put citroen berlingo stabiliser bar instead the original mi16 one ! But My mechanic has heated and bend a little the end curve of the manifold

27122008175.jpg

have you kept the anti roll bar? do you have any pictures?

how did you get the holes on the manifold to line up with the studs?

is this the 1.9 or 2.0?

cheers!!!! :)

Sign in to follow this