• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Neal H

Total Brake Failure

Neal H

Hi there,

Has anyone else experienced this in a series 1 Mi? It just happened on the way to the shop. Now, I don't think this was mechanical as they were working fine, then not working at all (i.e, there was still resistance in the pedal, but no brakes). There was a yellow light and the handbrake light on on the dash.

Any ideas anyone? Currently immobile!!!

Thanks,

Neal.

Jer309GTi

What year is your Mi? Sounds to me like its the early integral ABS system and it has packed up. Its a flawed system as when the system packs up you lose all brakes!

Neal H

That will be a 1988 then...is it possible to take the ABS out altogether?

Jer309GTi

It is indeed, I have done the same thing on my 1990 Mi. If you wanted to keep the ABS (shameless plug coming up...) then I have the complete working ABS system I took out of my car for sale lol.

There are a few threads on here from a while back about how to remove the ABS, its not too hard if you know your way around a car, but it takes a while if you havent done it before

Neal H

Cool, I think I will probably end up removing the ABS - I think I will struggle to have any confidence in a system that gives you zero brakes in event of failure again!! In your experience, did this also improve the feel and the on / off nature of the brakes too?

Jer309GTi

Yes it improved the pedal feel loads :) I know what you mean about not having much confidence in the brakes, even though mine were working fine I removed the system anyway. You'll be surprised about how much weight your removing from the car also.

From memory, you'll need the servo/master cylinder/brake pedal/brake fluid reservoir from a non ABS car, or a later 'additional' Bosch ABS equipped 405, and you'll need to make up some new brake pipes and remove a relay from under the dash to get rid of the warning lights. I'll have a quick search now for my old posts where I said about removing the ABS and post the links :)

Neal H

Right, that solves it, out with the ABS, you don't really need it anyway, and any system that has no safe fallback in the event of failure should never have reached production in my opinion.

So I need a new servo, master cylinder and fluid reservior, plus brakelines. All from 405's or are there any other models that I can take them from? There never seem to be any 405's in my local scrappy these days :(

Jer309GTi

Yes you need them from a 405 really. Have you looked on ebay? Theres always 405s being broken for spares on there

Neal H

Perfect, thanks for your help. I'll have the cheeky beggar back on the road shortly!!

Neal H

Well, I had a fiddle with the relays in the plastic box on top of the ABS unit this morning, low and behold, I now have brakes. I guess I had better check the wires and all the connections to make sure it is fit for use.

Jer309GTi

Nice, that was a cheap easy fix then :)

Sign in to follow this