• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
snave1345402286

Oil Cooler

snave1345402286

Hi all,

I would like if any of you have fitted an oil cooler, or anyone can tell me how an oil cooler can help the engine to perform better.

lee-bg

to the Phase2 Mi16 - yes.

It keeps Oil temp about 10 degrees below. But useful if you do lots of heavy run on tracks and/or very hot days high-speeds.

For normal use, not much of use.

P.s. I see you have phase1 Mi16 - this has excellent oil cooling by the alu sump with fins. I rarely see it going above 100 Degrees in summer time. This is optimum, so dont bother.

cheers

Edited by lee-bg

cybernck

i agree with that :).

Baz

yarp. But don't they actually have a heat exhanger rather than a cooler??

Edited by BazGTMi

stuart.m
yarp. But don't they actually have a heat exhanger rather than a cooler??

Yeah. My car has had one since i got it, so I can't give a before/after comment, but my understanding of it is that as the water heats up it helps heat the oil up as well, bringing it to optimum temperature faster, which can only be good. And obviusly help cooling slightly when its hot.

Although, if you dont already have one, i doubt its worth really fitting one.

JeffR

I ditched the standard cooler/filter set-up & fitted a remote filter & front mounted 13 row oil cooler to my 1.9l Mi.

Defo keeps the oil cooler for track work peaking about 110C.

If you go ahead, keep the external oil lines to at least 12mm inside dia. otherwise you're reducing the oil flow throughout the entire lubrication system. You don't want less flow than what already pumps through the standard cooler.

James504

I went 2 routes. Firstly I removed the standard heat exchanger for a oil cooler. The one i used was from a saab 900 turbo from the wreckers. Very nice looking cooler 3 row. But for everyday use it was not needed. As the oil would take a long time to reach opperating temp. Then I fitted a 206 GTi180 (RC) heat exchanger to the block, It has a thermostat inside, that opens around 85-90. My water temp and oil temp climb at the same rate Untill 90 degrees. Unlike the standard modine cooler, which seems to take for ever to heat the oil.

welshpug

that's very interesting to know James, which part does it open at 85-90? the oil or water gallery?

AlexN

My housemate has a track prepped RX-7 and they come with a twin radiator oil cooler setup as standard!

I'm going to fit the same system to my car to make sure I get consistent oil temps on track.

James504
that's very interesting to know James, which part does it open at 85-90?  the oil or water gallery?

Oil gallery. New the part was pretty exxy$$$ around 500Aud. I scored mine from a 307 cc 180, that had its engine replaced at work, due to taking in water.

Edited by James504

Sign in to follow this