• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
JamesLeMans831345402285

Drop Links

JamesLeMans831345402285

Another day another headache...

Offside ARB bush has disintegrated where the drop link hooks into the anitrollbar.

Bolts are as good as welded on with rust and grime so looks like im guna have to take it in to the garage.

Question is, is the rubber bush part of the drop link, the bolt or something that you can buy separately. Had a look on service box but its not very clear and as usual the Haynes is worse than useless.

Really don't wanna pay pug prices for new drop links as they're near £30 plus vat, just for the sake of the rubber bush. Euro car parts appear to do bush sets for less than a tenner but i don't know if there are for the back.

Is there a nice guru or someone who has done theirs recently who can help me out?

Cheers

Jer309GTi
Another day another headache...

Offside ARB bush has disintegrated where the drop link hooks into the anitrollbar.

Bolts are as good as welded on with rust and grime so looks like im guna have to take it in to the garage.

Question is, is the rubber bush part of the drop link, the bolt or something that you can buy separately. Had a look on service box but its not very clear and as usual the Haynes is worse than useless.

Really don't wanna pay pug prices for new drop links as they're near £30 plus vat, just for the sake of the rubber bush. Euro car parts appear to do bush sets for less than a tenner but i don't know if there are for the back.

Is there a nice guru or someone who has done theirs recently who can help me out?

Cheers

Just get some new drop links from GSF, thats what I did. Not really worth fiddling around changing the bushes IMO

JamesLeMans831345402285

£10.40 for the link, thats better! Cheers. Any tips for getting the top bolt out? The head on it is so thin its hard to get any purchase on it.

Jer309GTi

I got lucky with mine, they came undone easily. You could try heating the thread area with a blow torch, that usually works for stubborn nuts and bolts.

JamesLeMans831345402285

Cheers, will see if I can get a cheap one tomorrow. Aside from the slightly wallowy handling is there any serious detriment to driving the car with the arb disconnected one side?

KRISKARRERA

I bought two drop links from ebay a while back and gave up (for the time being) trying to get them off, that top nut stuck like glue lol! Is the bit on the other side a 9mm allen key hole?

JamesLeMans831345402285

Thats the one!

Got em off this morning. Used a ball joint spillter to prize the existing drop links off their rubbers. Pulled the rubber off the alan key shaped mount. Got a £13 disposable blow torch from B&Q lit up the bolt till it was red hot, a few whacks with the hammer and out they fell. Even left the bolts reusable, it was the mounting point for the drop link that had perished :)

Next job track rod arms :(

Edited by JamesLeMans83

Sign in to follow this