• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
petert1345402284

Chip Upgrades

petert1345402284

I've been working on this for some time, trying to develop a replacement chip to suit my Stage I inlet cam. Very encouraging results for 139 and 158/161 ECU's . Less so for 354/355 ECU's, where the mapping is already very good. However, the extended rev limit is fantastic!

http://www.taylor-eng.com/ecu/motronic_intro.html

Jer309GTi

Looks good :) I've always thought my ECU could do with an extended rev limit, the engine is still pulling very hard when it hits the limiter. It catches me out quite a bit as you don't feel the power drop off in the slightest! If I wasn't changing to TBs I'd definately be interested :)

KRISKARRERA

I wonder why the 139 is not so well mapped. It came after the 119 and 125 so one would assume they're probably no better.

Baz

You'd think so.

How different is a 4x4 Ecu peter, just the rev limit or the map too?

petert1345402284

The 2 row Mi16x4 chip just has an extended rev limit. Otherwise very ordinary mapping.

DjB

I'm very new to Mi16s but how do you determine which ECU is in which model of Mi16 ?

Also Peter, I'm having trouble viewing your website. I'd like some more info on your stage one cam and whats needed to utilize it best i.e. is an exhaust or modified induction needed?

Thanks,

Chris

Baz

The end 3 numbers on your ecu denote which it is, as spoken about here. :)

petert1345402284
Also Peter, I'm having trouble viewing your website. I'd like some more info on your stage one cam and whats needed to utilize it best i.e. is an exhaust or modified induction needed?

It works great in the standard engine but if you want to untap the full RPM potential the chip is needed.

The website was down this morning but seems ok now.

Edited by petert

S@m

Hi there Peter, i just wondered how much improvement does your chip make on the 139 ECU, and how much do you charge for one? I was under the impression that chips and remaps werent very effective for the Motronic regardless of ECU, but then thats probably misinformation from certain companies that i wont name. Also im interested in your extended oil pump pickup, but i dont want to get off topic here. :unsure:

Cheers

Sam

petert1345402284

The improvement is very good on the 139, especially in the low-mid range, guaranteed. Improvements on the 355 are very difficult because it's already mapped very well, as you can see from the dyno chart on my website. The price is $100 inc. postage. Or $70 for existing camshaft customers.

I also have pickup extensions available for $105 inc. postage.

DjB

How much would a chip and a stage one inlet cam cost..

Thanks Peter.

Chris

petert1345402284

Cam and chip is $270 for Aust. customers, $323 for International customers. Cam is on exchange basis. Prices include registered air mail.

DjB

Thanks Peter........

I'll be in touch once I know how my compression is fairing.

Chris

S@m

Likewise for me, just gotta be happy that everything is in good health, then ill be in touch regarding a chip and probably the extended oil pickup aswell.

Cheers

Sam.

RaulM16

Are the chips for 355 and 139 similar? or not.

I have a 125 2row ECU, does your 139 2row chip fit my ECU? I suposse the results will be similar to the one you have fitted in a 139 ECU,

And finally, does a motronic 4.1 (125/139 2row ECU) + chip make the same dyno than a motronic 1.3 (355 3row ECU) + chip?

petert1345402284

The 139 and 355 chips are the same externally to look at, and have been updated with the same data, but internally they are different. The information is stored in different areas. So you can't put swap between 2 and 3 row versions.

I haven't tried a 139 chip in a 125 but you're welcome to try. More than happy to refund the full amount if it doesn't work for some strange reason. Since you're the first to try a 125 I'll even offer you a better price.

Providing the rest of the engine is mechanically the same, there will be no difference between in the power/torque between a 2 row and a 3 row, as the fuel and ignition tables are identical.

RaulM16

Thanks peter T,

I would be interested in two cams and two chips, one kit for me and the other one for a friend.

Two Stage I cams + two 139 ECU chips, my friend has 139 ECU, in my case i would test the chip.

Could you give me some advises to test the chip?

for example: test it with both cars (mine and my friend's car) in pararell, afeter that to change our ECU and measure again to avoid diferences in mechanical parts. Dynos, etc...

How can I know that the AFM is correct?

Has the original ECU much diferences between a 125 and a 139? or the difference is only the original chip internally?

If you want I could try to get a chip and send it to you because in Madrid we have "Desguaces la Torre" (you can do a search in google), which is the biggest car scrapyard in Europe and one week ago there was one Mi16.

Before buy anithing i would like to solve my doubt: for road use which one of the following mod's choose

StageI + Chip + CR10.8 (96 Kw)

or

StageII + Chip + CR10.8 (100 Kw)

I think medium range is much better with Stage I. So perhaps the final top end of the stage II is not driveable at normal road usage.

Which one would you choose?

Edited by RaulM16

petert1345402284

The easiest way to test is to find a long stretch of road and do a full throttle roll on from 2500 in 4th, std. chip in one, new one in the other.

I would use the Stage I before Stage II for general road use. It has a lot more under 4000.

Did you want regrinds or new cams? If the former, you'll need to send me two cams.

I can send you two chips first if you like to test.

To test the AFM, hook up a multimeter and turn through full scale, looking for drop outs in the resistance. If someone has played with the tension you'll need to hook up an AFR meter to reset it properly.

RaulM16

Thanks again Peter, It a pleasure to read you you've a lot of knowledeges of this engine.

Another question, I have some proble actually with my idle, i think i have to clean somethings to solve it as I did once.

How is the idle with the Stage I as the torque at this rpm is supossed to be lower?

Does your chip control the idle rpm (higher rpm than stock idle rpm) to have better control and avoid the "shut down" (I don´t know if this is the correct word, sorry about my level of english) of the engine?

petert1345402284

The idle with the Stage I cam is slightly different to original, but you wouldn't pick it unless you had two cars side by side. Idle speed is still 850 and the computer/ICV has no trouble holding that regardless of the cam.

Idle problems with early Mi16's is usually caused by a faulty or incorrectly adjusted TPS. The micro switch for idle wears out from constant use.

RaulM16

OK now i can say i am fully convinced of fitting Stage I + Chip + CR 10,8.

I have a friend who participates in some rallies and he is searching a good place to do the work in the piston head (CR 10,8).

Please Peter send me a private message with the price of Stage I + one 2-row 139 chip (to check if it operates correctly fitted on my 125 ECU), and the associated delivery costs to send it to Spain (Madrid).

rodionski
The 139 and 355 chips are the same externally to look at, and have been updated with the same data, but internally they are different. The information is stored in different areas. So you can't put swap between 2 and 3 row versions.

I haven't tried a 139 chip in a 125 but you're welcome to try. More than happy to refund the full amount if it doesn't work for some strange reason. Since you're the first to try a 125 I'll even offer you a better price.

Providing the rest of the engine is mechanically the same, there will be no difference between in the power/torque between a 2 row and a 3 row, as the fuel and ignition tables are identical.

Dear Peter,

I am a Mi16 1987 1.9 D6C owner from Ukraine. It runs on a 125 ECU

A friend of mine who has a mi16 4x4 gave me a chip which he bought in France for EUR25 with a Peugeot Sport sticker on it. The chip wouldnt work on his car as it is a DFW with 3 rows.

It works on my 125 ECU without problems, but i do wonder whether it yields any increase in power and torque - the only noticeable difference is that it seems to hold or delay shutting off fuel after I take my foot off the accelerator - which kind of creates a little thrust forward when shifting into a higher gear (as if i didn't fully take off my foot off the throttle) and that seems to be it.

I will try testing this chip on 4th gear from 2500 to 4000 against the stock chip (I now have two 125 ECUs under the bonnet) - but could you pls let me know how much would a REAL chip from you with a rev limiter of 7500 (this chip seems to have a standard 7200) cost with shipment to Ukraine?

Many thanks!

rodion

petert1345402284

I sell them for AUS$45. Postage is $10 from memory. However, I've had some reports that the rev limit on 2 row chips hasn't been any higher. I'm a little confused by this, and I can't check it myself at present, as I don't have a 2 row in any of my cars. I do know that my 3 row chips DEFINITELY limit at 7500.

I've got one of those Peugeot Sport chips from France for an XU10J4, Grp N. I had Magic run it through his software analyzer. It's actually a copy of the XU10J2 chip with the rev limit raised to 7500! I'd be very wary.

Do you want me to send you one on spec.?

Edited by petert

pete1986

Hi Peter,

As you probaly remember from the pms, i have a dfw mi16 with the 161 ecu, apart from the extra rpm will the chip give a more steady power curve? ie. lose the 'boost' at 4000rpm

Cheers

petert1345402284
Hi Peter,

As you probaly remember from the pms, i have a dfw mi16 with the 161 ecu, apart from the extra rpm will the chip give a more steady power curve? ie. lose the 'boost' at 4000rpm

Cheers

Yes it does a bit, particularly from 2000-3000, from the revised ignition curve.

Sign in to follow this