• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
adriches

Omg Help! 405 4x4............

adriches

Hi all.

I have aquired a late 405 td estate which has all mi16x4 4wheel drive bits mated to the td engine. Gearbox is Mi16. All rear suspension has been swapped too.

But i have problems.... :( The transferbox is leaking oil quicker than can be put in, its all over the place! The dipstick for the tbx has been cut down by the guy who did the conversion (who i bought it off) because it couldnt take its normal path up the back of the engine. So its really really difficult to top up, the front wheel has to be taken off but the car still has to be level! Then u need a long tube and a funnel!

Only a few of the seals are available from peugeot.

I guess i could get all the seals made up but the box whines a lot (i had a mi16x4 a couple of years bak so kno how it should sound) i asume it could have been ran on low oil. It also really clunks when engauging drive, similar to a bad engine mount. U feel a real knock. There is a lot of play when u turn the prop under the car before it reaches resistance. Is this normal??

Im no mechanic by the way, my friend does all the oily bits.

The tbx has done 95k. Do i bother getting all the seals for what is probably a knackerd box or look elsewhere? But how will i know if any others are any better than mine?!

I did wonder if the dipstick now reads incorrectly so its being overfilled and therfore leaking. I dont know!!

Wot do u recon?!

:)

Edited by adriches

imaS

Transferbox needs 1,8 litres of oil. Drain/refill would be my solution to find out if there's overfill. I accidentally overfilled my transferbox up to two litres total and it isn't leaking oil out. Is the dipstick hole closed to avoid leaking?

Seals for intake shaft and right driveshaft were available last summer, also gearbox output shaft's seals are available. Left and right side seals of transferbox "covers" are no longer supplied.

My transferbox had small extra noise because of damaged planetary gears. Now it's gone because I ghanged undamaged ones. Old ones were still repairable. They were driven for 250k kilometres (~157k miles).

If all enginemounts etc. are in good condition and you feel bump while hitting gas you need new bushings for rear axle. And/or bushings for rear differential.

How much is a lot of play in propshaft ? There always will be a little amount of it.

I think that if that was my car I would remove transferbox and check it's condition. If it's not repairable then start searching for another one.

adriches

Yeah i think that sounds like the only option!

adriches

When u twist the prop it has an inch of play before u get resistance. Normal? So when u lift of the clutch u get a clonk as it takes up the play. Same when go into reverse.

Sign in to follow this