• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
S@m

Smokey From Cold.

S@m

Hey all,

I have to say that without this forum my Mi would be long since dead but now i wonder whether its trying to tell me something, when i start it from cold i get slot of white smoke from the exhaust (i know that its to be expected on cold days) but it does seem rather excessive. It will last for about 5 or so miles and is so bad that i can see it thru the rear window. Am i worrying about nothing?

Sam.

Jer309GTi

Hi, does the white smoke disappear completely after the 5 or so miles?

KRISKARRERA

Both of my Mi16 cars have done this. Someone please remind me what white smoke means... is it rich mixture? Be interested to know if the lambda'd mis do it less so. I think it's unlikely to be anything to worry about though.

JamesLeMans831345402285

My mi ran similar until I fixed the thermostat (previous deviant owner had simly cut thermostat switch away!) Now get ye old Smokey for about 2 mins (when cold) before it warms up and all ok. Assume your probably getting milky residue under the oil filler cap too? If so I strongly recommend bunging a new therm on, only £12 and easy to fit too!

:Edit: In response to Kris. White smoke surely means water residue in the engine?

Edited by JamesLeMans83

KRISKARRERA

Yes I suppose it could be steam, especially at this time of year. Main thing is it stops. If it doesn't it's "hello new head gasket".

I long ago took the wire gauzes out of the filler cap and tube. I just pull it out say once a week and collect the mayo for my sandwiches. :lol:

Jer309GTi
I just pull it out say once a week and collect the mayo for my sandwiches. :lol:

:ph34r::lol:

ryan13961345402285

White smoke for a few minutes on startup will just be condensation. If there is white smoke consatntly then it could be something more sinister like head gasket failure

S@m

Cheers for the replies guys, the white smoke does disapear after 5 miles or so. I was only worried cos ive just had the head gasket done and i didnt want to go through that again, and yes i am getting alot more mayo under the filler cap then usual, but aside from that there are no HG failure symptoms so i was unsure. How can i stop the mayo buildup? gotta say its worrying me cos i cant see how oil can mix with water unless the HG has gone again?

Sam

KRISKARRERA

Short journies won't help but they all get this. As soon as winter arrives you always get many threads on the 205 forum about this because they have the same remote oil filler set up.

S@m

So, can i expect to lose coolant slowly? The thing that worries me most is that it was never this drastic until the head gasket went, there always was a very slight bit of mayo but its alot worse now. But as i said, there are no other head gasket failure symptoms.

Sam

KRISKARRERA

Is the water in the radiator dropping at all?

S@m

it seems to be, but i havent been running it enough lately to know for sure.

Sign in to follow this