• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ryan13961345402285

Exhaust Manifold Welding

ryan13961345402285

The rear engine mount has gone completely on the car, and as a result there is a dirty great crack in the exhaust manifold (just above the flange)

Is it possible to weld this with a MIG, using mild steel wire? How thick is the manifold in this area? I haven't got a tig welder, but I have an ARC with stainless rods, and the MIG with mild steel wire

Sloppy

a welder told me you get special rods but it can be welded.

cybernck

the only *proper* way to do it is get the manifold heated up glowing hot and

then weld it or fill in the previously enlargened crack with adequate material.

at least that's how you need to fix a cracked T16 manifold, but the Mi16 one

shouldn't be too different.

Sloppy

yea i was told to heat it to when i was welding one.

i did not heat it but just did little bits at a time and it did not crack, but if it does your fooked!

B1ack_Mi16

The 2.0 Mi16 exhaustmanifold is cast iron and would need special care when welding as mentioned.

However the 1.9 mi16 one is just made from a steel flange and some sort of stainless piping that's all welded togeather. Shouldn't be hard to weld that one at all, would imagine mild steel wire in the MiG should work just fine, however it won't really be stainless afterwards :)

welshpug

perfect opportunity to upgrade :ph34r:

ryan13961345402285

Cheers everyone. Have never welded stainless before but a few people now have told me that mild steel wire in the MIG will do the job.

It's my own fault for neglecting the rear engine mount when I knew it was on it's way out. I have a new 309 TD rear mount to be fitted

@Cybernck, the T16 manifold is cast iron like the 2.0 one as mentioned above (I think). Cast iron is indeed a bugger to weld!!

As for upgrading, I was under the assumption that the 1.9 Mi16 manifold was pretty much optimum until you hit big power?

cybernck

ah we're talking about the 1.9 manifold here (sorry, was looking at S16 parts for sale post before replying :rolleyes:).

people even successfully cut and reangle them for use in 205's, so a little hariline crack can't be all that bad :lol:.

ryan13961345402285

Right, have the rear mounting, driveshaft, front pipe etc all removed, but i can't see how I'm going to loosen 3 of the upper manifold bolts. Anyone any tips?

ryan13961345402285

Fookin hell. FINALLY got the manifold removed. Have to say that was the single most awkward job I've ever had to do on a car. Hope I never have to do it again lol

Sign in to follow this