• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest P Zero

Front Suspension Noise

Guest P Zero

I have recently had some front suspensiion work done to try and get rid of some of the crashy noises and tighten up the front end a bit. I've had the ARB bushes, drop links and control arm front and rear bushes done.

However, the front end is still very noisy. Its a kind of rattly, crashy, knocky noise that you might associate with old, loose components. Any idea what I should try next??

ryan13961345402285

Could be worn top mounts. Could even be a dodgy engine mount

KRISKARRERA

Mine's the same P Zero, has been a long time but never fails the MOT on it. Actually it's particularly bad lately what with the cold temps at the moment.

Jer309GTi

I'd have said top mounts too

Guest P Zero

Yeah it doesnt affect the handling or anything, its more annoying than anything. But youre right Kris, it is more apparent since it got colder :huh:

I think I might try the top mounts next. They should be a fairly straightforward swap.

Jer309GTi

You can get a kit from GSF for the 205/309, but I haven't ever checked if they do one for the 405. Might be worth a look...

Guest P Zero

Thanks, I'll take a look. If I find one anywhere I'll let you all know :)

Guest serrento405

check that the top mount nuts are tight as they can work loose ie:- strut top nuts ;)

Tony1345402284

Hi

There could be some wear in the steering rack or the inner or outer steering ball joints.

The ball joints are easy to check and would fail an MOT if there was a problem.

Wear in the rack is not so easy to spot. To check the left side of the steering rack (rh drive car) turn the steering to full right lock, grip the left hand end of the rack inboard of the inner steering ball joint and check for movement up and down/backwards/forwards. Visa versa for the right hand side.

The right side end of the rack can be adjusted to take up any movement. The left side end of the rack runs in a bush pressed into the alloy housing, this bush can be replaced.

Adjustment and a new bush cured the last noise in the front of my Mi16x4, not a cheap job but worth it.

Tony

JamesLeMans831345402285

Sorry to dredge up an old one, but getting the same problems myself, changed top ount bushes, tightened the nuts up nice and tight while sitting on the car, changed arb links, stripped and cleaned the calipers, had the track rods done, front wheels balanced and it got better, although not completly for a while, but then the car got broken into (again :angry: ) and they seem to have wrenched the wheel and broekn the steering lock one way. Vibration seems to come from the rack itself, no issue with the steering everything seems fine, just something appears to knock within the rack itself. Any ideas where I should be looking here? As said before, getting worse with the cold weather too! Would that make it logical to assume a bush is starting to die?

Jer309GTi

If it was me, I'd just stick another rack in it, even if it was one from a scrappy. Wouldn't like the idea of having something not right with such a vital part of the car!

Sign in to follow this