• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
KRISKARRERA

Heater Matrix Nightmare!

KRISKARRERA

Well this heater matrix job has turned into a bloody nightmare. :angry:

Glovebox destroyed completely. :angry:

And the little screw securing the pipes to the matrix had to be drilled out. :angry:

"Ahem, dad, can I have your GTI6 that you're selling please? Is it ok if I pay you back £2 per week?"

KRISKARRERA

I've even a feeling the old matrix wasn't leaking - one the new rubber O rings I put in the other day has a chunk out of it! So maybe I bodged fitting those and thus thought it must be the matrix.

Feeble

I think that is a job that I will never do! :P

JamesLeMans831345402285
I think that is a job that I will never do! :P

I agree, in my somewhat limited experience I have already learned that jobs on the coolant system that require working in small spaces are best left to some other poor sap lol. Saying that I am going to attempt the thermostat at somepoint this week. Hope I have somewhat more luck than you Kris!

welshpug

I think this is something every 405 owner should do as part of preventative maintenance :ph34r:

KRISKARRERA

Uber nightmare now!

New matrix wont fit in its hole......

But I thought I'd connect the pipes up anyway. It leaks. Tighten it up a bit more. Still leaks. Undo it all. Reconnected it. Tightened it up, still F***ING leaks! Tighten it up a little bit more......SNAP! Bloody bolt snapped! :angry:

ryan13961345402285

Reading this makes me very grateful to the kind chap who put a new one in my car before I bought it!

KRISKARRERA

I give up, I'm just crap with cars. So tempted to beg my dad to let me have his 306.

Baz

Surely can't be that bad Kris!! :(

I agree, in my somewhat limited experience I have already learned that jobs on the coolant system that require working in small spaces are best left to some other poor sap lol. Saying that I am going to attempt the thermostat at somepoint this week. Hope I have somewhat more luck than you Kris!

A thermostat is somewhat an easier job, no worries!

KRISKARRERA

Been down Pug, got new seals, new bolt, here we go again...

KRISKARRERA

Nope no success.

It's the bottom pipe that seems impossible to get to sit flush and no amount of wiggling gets it in the right place.

Also the matrix sticks out, the bottom of it is different to the original. Great.

Jer309GTi

Not good! You got any pics Kris to help explain whats going on?

ryan13961345402285

Sure the new matrix is the right one?

welshpug

bypass the matrix, put on a bit coat, wolly hat and gloves, and cross the severn with some cash :ph34r:

KRISKARRERA

It is the correct matrix, it's just there's a section of plastic that needed removing, as Welshpug pointed out a bit earlier. They really oughta have instructions saying so though.

Jer, was gonna get some pics but the batteries in my camera need charging so not point really because I've discovered that the big plastic section that the blower bolts to needs to be removed. It basically hinders movement of the lower of the 2 metal pipes that go into the matrix and you can't get it in properly.

I know I've made a right cock-up of this job but I'm always like this the first time I attempt a new job on the car. I remember having to remove the aircon compressor to get my sump off because it was leaking and it took me four attempts before I finally stopped the bugger leaking but after that I was like a pro at it.

So frustrating that these things need doing at this time of the year when there's only a nano second of daylight and it's minus 50 out there.

KRISKARRERA

Still can't get it in so I've chopped the pipes and it was still virtually impossible to do indoors so it was no wonder I couldn't do it in the car.

Guest serrento405

kris i no its no good if you need now but,have you spoted the new pipes and seals on e bay at a £5?? ;)

Edited by serrento405

ryan13961345402285

Those are phase 2 pipes (according to the ad) Probably different?

welshpug

p1 and P1 heater boxes are identical, as are the matrixes and pipes.

KRISKARRERA

Ooooooh thanks man! But oh s*it, that would mean another week without the car :angry::(

Jer309GTi
p1 and P1 heater boxes are identical, as are the matrixes and pipes.

Shouldn't that be matrices? :P:lol:

KRISKARRERA

Yeah lol.

I've just sent them a message asking if they'd be willing to sell those pipes as "Buy it now".... I doubt they will though.

But you know what I bet nobody even bids on those and it'll turn out that I coulda had them for a fiver.

My car is now at a garage.

Tell you what though when I had those pipes on my lap it was still a right bastid to get them into the matrix with the new seals so god knows how anyone manages it "in car".

Jer309GTi

Bit of vaseline could do the trick :unsure:

KRISKARRERA

Yeah I used some grease and even then it was still 100000000x harder than doing anal without any lube :lol:

Sign in to follow this