• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
cammmy

Altenator Tensioner

cammmy

Hey Guys

I got the new tensioner for my 91 4bie but there's a problem.

The first pic is the old tensioner (the small one) and the one I was sent (the big one).

That's all the old one was, just that on a stud in the side of the engine block.

The second pic shoes the location of the old tensioner from above.

The third pic shows the old tensioner when installed on the car, you can see the mounting points for the new tensioner also

Does anybody have the same tensioner as my old one? The guy who sold me the new one said he has never seen one like it before on a 4bie.

How would I go about swapping the old one to the new one?

Any help will be appreciated as I havn't had my car for over a month now and I really need to get it back on the road

Cheers

Cam

cammmy

Okay don't know how I managed to create those other topics.

I can't get the pics to upload, can anyone explain how I pictures to show in post? Been a while since i've had to do it

Cheers

Cam

Edited by cammmy

Jer309GTi

In the 'add reply' there is a box at the bottom where you can browse for files. You then upload them, and click on 'add into post', and you should get 'attatchment id' and a number appear in the reply box.

cammmy

Okay I shall start again. (I think it wasn't working because I didn't realize the editing software had saved them as TIF files)

These are the tensioners.

post-325-134540328089_thumb.jpg

The small one on the bottom is the original. That is all there is. It sits on a stud in the side of the motor, attached to a kind of bracket that you tighten to stop the alternator pivoting.

The guy I purchased the top tensioner from says he has never seen this kind of tensioner on a 4bie (and i'm pretty certain its an NZ new).

This is where the tensioner sits (the bearing is on the stud but I have removed the pulley)

post-325-134540328122_thumb.jpg

Here is a picture from above for good measure.

post-325-134540328158_thumb.jpg

So did Peugeot just start throwing random tensioners willy nilly at their cars? (ah Pierre zis wine is very ghood but sacre bleu we are out of tensioners, ah zis one is from a ford? who cares slap it on, no wan will notice) or Have I got some kind of mutant freak 4bie? Or do the 4bies in Europe take these tensioners and the NZ new ones (which mine should be) take the larger ones on the arm that the dude sent me?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated

Cheers

Cam

cammmy

Crap, I rotated the picture of the bearing in the stud but it must not have saved properly.

Might have to save the file and rotate in fax viewer or something to see it properly.

KRISKARRERA

Enter thy tensioner master!!!!!!! :lol: Tell the parts man I am the Wiltshirian Mi master of fonejacker proportionings! Or seeing as you're in New Zealand I'll send out Ozzie and Frank from Bad Taste in their 3 litre Capri!

This is weird.

Pre-1991 Mi16s had the tensioner pulley mounted on a plate that was attached to the sump - you can see the mounting holes for it on the side of the sump.

After that they changed to the type you have, i.e running off the bit that holds the alternator slider thingy on. A much better design as it's not yanking on the blasted sump causing oil leaks.

But this is where my knowledge goes a bit hazy because what you've been provided kinda looks like some tension from the XU10 or one of those other later engines. I'm thinking if you tried to fit that to the sump it's gonna foul the crank pulley.

I'll check the parts disc later. Where did you get it from?

Ryan
But this is where my knowledge goes a bit hazy because what you've been provided kinda looks like some tension from the XU10 or one of those other later engines.

It's definitely the wrong one. The proper sump-mounted one is just a metal plate mounted with three bolts:

post-61-134540328193_thumb.gif

The other one looks like a spring-loaded XU10 tensioner.

KRISKARRERA

No no no the wife, no the wife!

That picture is correct Ryan but that's the set up on the earlier 1.9 Mi16, the later set up is what Cammmy did have on his engine.

Ryan

That's what I meant, but didn't explain very well. The one I pictured is the old one, which as you say was replaced by the roller at the bottom of the alternator support (which cammmy originally had), and the replacement he's been given is for the XU10.

ryan13961345402285

Where in the UK are these tensioners available (main dealer only I presume?)

There's a damned whine started in that area on my car

Ryan

Possibly dealer-only, I've never seen them for sale anywhere else. Prices aren't cheap though. :(

The sump-mounted tensioner is £63

The type mounted at the bottom of the alternator bracket is £134 :o Although I'm pretty sure you could use a Saab tensioner to replace this kind and use the alternator adjuster to tension the belt. Saab ones are on ebay all the time for <£25 (item 170175317488 for example)

cammmy

Stop driving the car immediately or bad things will happen!!! Check the bearing, the whine will most likely be because the bearing has seized but the pulley is still spinning. My pulley melted but if yours is still alright you might be able to just replace the bearing for a couple of quid. It's the pulley that's hard bit to get a hold of/make

cammmy

Also thanks for the info about the different tensioners. Cleared up all the confusion I had. I got the (wrong) replacement from a really good guy who deals pug parts on trade me (e-bay equivalent) He said he has never seen this eccentric bearing type tensioner before. My brother is looking at repairing the bearing, it's the pulley that I might have to source from somewhere. Does anyone have one for sale? or would someone be able to have a look for one next time they are at the scrappy? I will gladly give you some cash if you can find me one in good nick.

Cheers

Cam

cammmy
Although I'm pretty sure you could use a Saab tensioner to replace this kind and use the alternator adjuster to tension the belt. Saab ones are on ebay all the time for <£25 (item 170175317488 for example)

Would you need to use a shorter belt to do this? How far would you have to adjust the alternator? I will look into this, it's a really good idea.

cammmy

I have the car up and running again!!!!!!!!!

My brother replaced the bearing and made a new pulley for $24 (9.2 pounds) beats the $400 (153 pounds) Peugeot wanted.

Will post pics when I find the camera

ryan13961345402285

Mine finally went yesterday. By chance I was standing beside the car when I heard the squeal! Bearing is siezed solid so I removed the tensioner and put on a non-aircon belt. I noticed the complete tensioner is an SKF part, and lo and behold it's listed on their website. I think I'll find out how much they are through contacts in work, so hopefully shouldn't be too expensive

snave1345402286
But this is where my knowledge goes a bit hazy because what you've been provided kinda looks like some tension from the XU10 or one of those other later engines.

It's definitely the wrong one. The proper sump-mounted one is just a metal plate mounted with three bolts:

The other one looks like a spring-loaded XU10 tensioner.

I just change mine last week, Mine has disapeared dnt know how.. lol so I've to do a search to knw the exact lenght of it. I bought 1 reference 5pk 1270. It's fits gud.. these are for the models of early 1.9 mi16 and for alternator, aircon and tha engine pulley !

Sign in to follow this