• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Sloppy

Tapping From Engine

Sloppy

got an s16 now which i might break, got it with a tappng engine, tis quite loud but does not sound fatal, also if you rev the car its gets louder then it can disappear for a few secs and sound sweet then it returns.

I was thinking oil starvation?

but where and why, has anyone had this before, i was told it was the bottom end but im not convinced really, more like a loud tapping.

ryan13961345402285

If it's more a tapping noise rather than a knocking noise then it's probably tappets

Sloppy

it it really quite loud, not the normal tapping you would expect.

ryan13961345402285

Does it disappear when the car heats up?

Sloppy

not let it heat up really as like i said it really is very loud hence why i think the previous owner though it was the shells (still could be i suppose) or the big ends.

The car done over 150k but literally last year had a new head all skimmed and gasketed up, sounds spot on when it dont tap and ticks over spot on even though it taps and starts on the button.

Looks like it was well done the head job too, just seems wierd the tapping goes away when reved then release and it goes away for a sec or two??

Edited by Sloppy

pug309twin40s

sounds like the big ends to me.

my old s16 engine was like that, was running fine then went really tappety not like the normal knocking noise of big ends/ but found number 2 cyl big end had spun.

pull the sump of and check the big ends before running engine again.

Sloppy

cheers boss will have a look on monday, did you manage to replace the big end shells and it worked ok after?

cybernck

check the oil level first if you haven't (even if the oil level gauge says it's fine!).

if you're a liter below minimum, the tappets will be VERY loud.

hopefully it's just that :).

pug309twin40s
cheers boss will have a look on monday, did you manage to replace the big end shells and it worked ok after?

i broke up and sold my engine, bottom end went to miles. conrod was scrap though after big end spinning.

stuart.m

hopefully just the tappets... my car started doing this ocassionally, it would come and go, either itd be quite loud or no noise at all, fresh oil and a filter and its not done it since and that was weeks ago.

edit: guess it depends on what your definition of 'loud' is :P

Edited by stuartm

Sloppy

ha ha well it is almost defeninly loud VERY noticeable.

checked oil and its bang on full and looks very clean still, i do question if itas the correct oil though...

i will bob the sumpo off first and check the shells then maybe change the oil and filter...

Cheers for all you help guys dint have one response over on the 205 drivers forum

Edited by Sloppy

welshpug

I had nearly the same as Paul, slight rattle, that turned into a baaad knock, it was no4 actually! right above the oil pump.

Sloppy

yea sounds like one has spun anyone got a spare rod for one?

pug309twin40s

i've got a spare s16 conrod with piston attached

Sloppy

how much you want for that chief delivered, if it in good order of course.

Sign in to follow this