• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
cammmy

Hot Altenator/whining

cammmy

Hey Guys. When I had a whole heap of work done not long ago, the mechanic told me I will need a new power steering belt (I assume he didn't just do it while he had the engine out and was repairing the p/s pump so I would have to go back) Am I right in saying that the p/s and alt are run from the same belt?

Any how. I have always had the problem that when travelling at low speeds and I turn the wheel quite far I get a squeeking noise and feedback against the steering wheel. Now I am getting a whining noise (when the motor is running) that is especially lound when you put your head next to the front right (drivers side in RHD) wheel. The pitch of the whine is exactly proportional to the engine RPM. Also my altenator is running quite hot. I cannot smell burning rubber so assume it is not the belt rubbing on something. Could it be that I need a new belt? (The current one is nice and tight) or could I need to overhaul/aqcuire new altenator? Also sometimes there seems to be a crunching noise coming from the altenator, it's hard to explain how it sounds, all I can come up with is it's like a coin in a clothes dryer but a crunching (makes no sense to anyone but me I think)

I should mention that the whining and crunching started at the same time

The guy who sold me the car said the altenator was recently re-conditioned, but I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw an elephant made of solid lead.

Appreciate any help.

cheers

Cam

Jer309GTi

PAS belt and alt belt are different on a phase 1, which yours looks to be.

Sounds like the bearings are failing in the alternator and making the noises you describe. Try taking the alt belt off and spinning the pulley on the alternator. If it feels rough or has resistance then something is up with it internally and will need to be overhauled.

Hope this is some help :)

cammmy

Sweet, I will do that when I can (going on a 3 day hunting trip this weekend) I have a feeling you are right though. Got a mate who reckons he will be able to overhaul it without much trouble so i'll just have to get some bearings.

Cheers

Cam

cammmy

Had a look, Turns out that the tensioner has siezed and partially melted. Are you sure the belt only runs the altenator? It seems to run something else as well that looks like it has something to do with the steering. Any one here have a tensioner I can buy? Cheers

KRISKARRERA

Unless someone has done something very odd before you owned the car the power steering runs off the end of the exhaust cam, on the battery side.

Has your car got air conditioning? If so it might be the tensioner pulley for that that is dying.

Tony1345402284
Unless someone has done something very odd before you owned the car the power steering runs off the end of the exhaust cam, on the battery side.

Has your car got air conditioning? If so it might be the tensioner pulley for that that is dying.

The auxilary belt runs the alternator and air con compressor (on air con cars!).

The tensioners are close to $200, try either Autofrance in Auckland, Mecano Automotive in Christchurch or European Automotive Imports in AUS.

Tony

cammmy

Sorry, been ages since I logged in. I went to armstrong Peugeot and they quoted me $366 plus GST (bout 140 pounds plus vat) trying to get one of a dude sounding promising. It is the model with air con so that must be what else it runs. Think the tensioner crapped out because the last guy put a belt on that seemed a fair bit too short. Sorry about hurried reply Mother needs to take computer (will write in depth reply on Monday)

Sign in to follow this