• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
cammmy

Installing Stereo... Help!

cammmy

Hey Guys

Got everything I need to install my stereo into my P1 4bie.

The setup is as follows

Head Unit

4x 6.5" Speaker

2x Tweeters (already in dash)

1x 4 channel amp

I'm re-doing all the speaker cables too instead of using the stock ones.

I need help. How do I get the original speaker cables out? They all seem to be part of a mangled heap of wires under the passenger side dash

How do I get the kick panels out to run the new cables under.

Anybody and everybody who has ever put a stereo into a 405 please let me know how you did it, pics would be great.

Also because the slot is on an angle will the 'security panel' have to be removed so it won't get in the way of loading and ejecting cd's?

Feeble

Haynes manual tells all! :)

cammmy

All it tells you is how to remove the speakers. I need to know the best way to remove the wiring and door kick panels.

Feeble

Haynes manual tells you how to remove the centre console, which you will probably need to know...

It also tells you how to remove any and all trim. Trust me, I used it when I did my sub and amp install!

I ran power cable under the door trim on the passenger side and the phono leads on the drivers side. Just need to hunt down a few screws. It's not hard, you just need to use a bit of common sense! :)

The hardest part is finding a route for your cables into the boot! I cannot advise you on this, as Idid a bit of a bodge there! :P

Guest badboyracer3500

I managed to get hold of an angled adapter plate so my stereo sits more level allowing cds to eject clear of panel. dont ask me where to buy them as i acquired it when changing my mates stereo in his 405 estate and told him he didnt need it and i would dispose of it for him. B):lol:

KRISKARRERA

How does that work then? I can't get mine anywhere near level because of the stuff between that area and the bulkhead.

cammmy
Haynes manual tells you how to remove the centre console, which you will probably need to know...

It also tells you how to remove any and all trim. Trust me, I used it when I did my sub and amp install!

I ran power cable under the door trim on the passenger side and the phono leads on the drivers side. Just need to hunt down a few screws. It's not hard, you just need to use a bit of common sense! :)

The hardest part is finding a route for your cables into the boot! I cannot advise you on this, as Idid a bit of a bodge there! :P

Good point. Sorry should have mentioned that I only have the body/electrical and heating chapters of the haynes, So I do have the instructions for taking the center panel off. Anyone got a PDF of the section for trims etc?

I'll just have to see what I can do and if worst comes to worst just remove the panel door. Does it do anything other than cover the head unit (does it lock when the car is locked like the petrol cap)?

Jer309GTi

The cover just flips down to cover the stereo. But I suppose if you were clever you could use a fuel cap lock to lock it whn closed...

Feeble

I can get my stereo in and out of the hole with no problems. All CD's load fine... They have done in both of my Ph1's... Both head units have been Alpine! :)

KRISKARRERA

Take the flap out and believe me you'll never get it back in with it's spring attached!

My JVC is hell - CDs eject up high and are a right pain to get out.

Borntobewild

Its so easy to get the spring back :D

(after doing it a couple of times :D )

KRISKARRERA
Its so easy to get the spring back :D

(after doing it a couple of times :D )

P1 or P2 mate? Please tell me how!! lol

cammmy

Okay So i'll take off the dash cover and front panel to install the head unit. The old speaker cable seems to be taped up into a whole heap of other wires under the glove box, any body else have this? how did you get the old cable out? If I could get the kick panel off I would be able to undo the tape wrapped around all the wires and single out the speaker cables. Any one know how to do this or have the section in the haynes that shows it that they could send to me?

Cheers

Guest badboyracer3500
How does that work then? I can't get mine anywhere near level because of the stuff between that area and the bulkhead.

I didn't say totally level :huh: but its a lot easier to use, as in loading and unloading cds. :D

cammmy

I have ordered a Haynes for an Mi16 so i will update later with how it goes

Borntobewild

Phase II, cant really discribe it, its just a feeling, but if you look at the system its easy to do and see where the spring has to go.

Haze

why remove the cables? just run the new cable straight to the speakers

DjB

Haze...

If Cammmy is like me, he is probably anally retentive and has to do the do the job to enth degree.......... :P

My first car stereo install took me a week of 8 hours days and I still wasn't happy with it... LOL

Chris

cammmy
Haze...

If Cammmy is like me, he is probably anally retentive and has to do the do the job to enth degree.......... :P

My first car stereo install took me a week of 8 hours days and I still wasn't happy with it... LOL

Chris

Absolutely right!

The car needs a million other things doing, so the stereo has taken a back seat anyhow.

Sign in to follow this