• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
AlexN

Suspension Upgrades

AlexN

Hi all, I currently about a third of the way through a total restoration of my 4bie, and have decided, for now, to keep the engine near enough standard spec.

However, I want to upgrade the suspension to get the most out of it. I am going to get some custom bushes made, and a strut brace and i'm going to run a higher pressure sphere on the rear. I'm also going to fit some 16" or 17" alloys so I can fit the 406 brembos.

What I want to know is if anyone on here has any experience with thicker anti-roll bars on a 405? Is it necessary to upgrade them? Cutting out some body roll would surely make for a better drive? How much thicker should I get them? What about differences between the front and rear? Sorry for all the questions but I want to make sure I'm doing the right thing before I fork out. I have found a company who can supply them btw!

Also is it worth upgrading the front shocks, and if so does anyone have any recommendations?

I'll post some pics of the restoration next weekend, but suffice to say it's total. The interior is gutted, engine and front sub frame out. Rear sub frame awaiting overhaul etc. I got fed up with the constant little problems so thought I do it justice and make a proper job of it. I can't rebuild the engine until Christmas though (no time) so it'll be new year before it's back on the road.

Hopefully it'll be worth the wait!

Edited by AlexN

Guest turbolag

Body roll is not an issue in a 2wd - is the fourbie any different? I spent months hunting high & low for bushes, but other than OE (or pattern) there are none available, certainly no poly ones etc,so good luck if you can find someone willing to tool up for just your car.

I ended up having a friend machine up some clever stainless bushes for my rear beam, with a phosphor bronze centre, and it makes a serios difference over the knackered old chewing gum bushes.

Sign in to follow this