• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
PJPHughes

High Idle And Engine Light Coming On When Revved

PJPHughes

Hi everyone,

I just had my 1989 1.9 liter MI16 engine top end redone to cure numerous oil leaks and some odd smoking...did valve stem seals and guides, all gaskets including the head gasket, and timing belt/tensioner/water pump.

I got the car back on Monday and the car is running about 90%. In normal easy driving, no issues. However, the car is idling at about 1250rpm once it warms up, and whenever I give it a heavy right foot, my "CHECK ENGINE" (US Spec car light) or engine light for you guys comes on. It goes out a couple seconds after the revs drop.

My first thought is the throttle position switch is failing. The car's timing belt, tensioner and water pump were done, and I don't think the timing is off (It would run like crap, right?).

Any thoughts from the experts? My 1991 had a similar high idle issue and replacing the switch worked, but it never had the engine light come on. This car just had an engine overhaul so I don't want to overlook anything! I wish I had a code reader to figure out what it was.

cheers,

Paul H.

Los Angeles, CA, USA

stuart.m

you can access the codes with a few bits of wire and an LED (or LED test lamp). you basically connect an LED between the battery positive and pin 2 of the diagnostic plug, then earth that pin out for a few seconds to start the sequence, write down the code, earth again for the next code, write it down, etc etc :P see the screenshots ive linked below for a better explanation. ive never done it on a xu9j4 so i dont know the location of the diagnostic plug but im sure someone on here does.

accessing

codes

hope this helps.

Edited by stuartm

KRISKARRERA
ive never done it on a xu9j4 so i dont know the location of the diagnostic plug but im sure someone on here does.

Yes, it's in the black box just in front of the offside suspension strut.

Sign in to follow this