• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Feeble

Strange Problem...

Feeble

My temperature gague is always moving when I am driving, unless I put the clutch down, it goes back to where it should be. Any idea why? :)

Jer309GTi

A dodgy earth somewhere that doesn't contact properly when engine is moving about but contacts ok when engine is idling and not moving so much?

Feeble

Seems a bit strange, that! :lol: I'll check the earth out tomorrow :)

lemans120

could it be a dodgy connecter when you press the clutch the cable tension maybe pushing the wire slightly where it runs past have a look with bonnet up and someone pressing clutch see if it does knock it a bit

JOHN89MI16

I had the same problem and it was the earth strap from battery to gearbox and from gearbox to body work. I made up a new negative terminal using the same design as the possitive terminal instead of the stupid cap over the earth on the battery.

I put a strap from the engine block itself and running it to the negative terminal on the battery, then running it down to the old stud on the gearbox because engine wiring earths go there aswell and then running it to the bodywork under the battery tray where it is located anyway.

It could also be the gauge itself but if you want to eliminate the faulty gauge then use a negative jump lead and clamp it onto somewhere clean on the engine and clamp the other end onto the negative on the battery but make sure its not going to fall off when you put the bonnet down or catch any moving engine parts because you will have to go out for a test drive to see what happens to the gauge.

If it is the earth then it should be ok with the jump lead on while your driving.

I hope this is of some help. :D

Feeble

Sounds like a very good idea!

Now the needle just sits at cold until I put the clutch down! :rolleyes:

Sign in to follow this