• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Mi16Lemans

Dfw

Mi16Lemans

Having a nose around my engine bay today, just seeing what was what and I have finaly found the 'engine type' plare and my 1990 4x4 with a cat DOES have a DFW engine..

Edited by Mi16Lemans

cybernck

if you knew you've had CAT, you should have suspected it's a DFW in the first place :).

petert1345402284
Having a nose around my engine bay today, just seeing what was what and I have finaly found the 'engine type' plare and my 1990 4x4 with a cat DOES have a DFW engine..

That's very sad for you. It must be the only one in existence. It must have been a special order.

KRISKARRERA

Love to know why though, why would anyone want to do that!

Jer309GTi

Maybe the original owner thought they were doing their bit for the environment?!

Or, more likely, the car was a demonstrator which had the cat and emission system on it. I had a G reg 309 GTi with a cat and Motronic, and I found out that it was a dealer demonstrator

Mi16Lemans

Can I remove it, or will it fail an Mot due to high emmisions, and come to think of it can I remove it and still keep the Lambda sensor as this is attached to the same section of pipe as the cat.?

KRISKARRERA

I know that's the problem, you don't need the CAT but you will still need lambda sensor attached to downpipe.

cybernck

lambda sensor is a good thing anyway :).

Jer309GTi
lambda sensor is a good thing anyway :).

Definately :)

As for keeping the lambda, get a downpipe from a non-cat, then go to a scrappy and find a lambda boss that you can cut out and weld into your non-cat downpipe. This is what I did on the 309.

(Or if you're not a cheapskate like me I'm pretty sure you can buy weld-in lambda bosses brand new) :lol:

Mi16Lemans

well something needs to be done, either the cat or the heat shield is producing a tinny rattle from uner the front of the car, now this time last year I had a V8 discovery which needed the catS replacing, now i'm not really a cheap scate but I'd rather not buy one if I don't have to.

So why is keeping the Lambda such a good thing, and on the flip side, will a non-cat exhaust make that much difference.?

Jer309GTi
So why is keeping the Lambda such a good thing, and on the flip side, will a non-cat exhaust make that much difference.?

It basically keeps the fuelling spot on as it is constantly (or at least most of the time :unsure:) monitoring the exhaust gasses and making adjustments in the ECU.

Removing the cat wouldn't make that much difference IMO, you may notice a bit more throttle response

KRISKARRERA

When you think about it good old PSA should've given all engines the Motronic 1.3 with the lambda, and just not included a cat on ours. Would have saved them making several different systems.

Mi16Lemans

So is the DFW block any different to any ohters.? if so in what way.?

Jer309GTi

IIRC the difference is the pistons. I'm pretty sure blocks and heads are identical

petert1345402284

The pistons are different. The piston crowns are thinner on the DFW piston. Same piston originally, machined down.

Compression heights:

D6C- 37.12mm, stamped Z in the crown

DFW - 36.28mm, stamped X in the crown

cybernck

peter, do you know how thick is the crown (on DFW)?

lee-bg

I got DFW engine - rebuilt recently. But i am not in UK , hehe :)

in East Europe 4x4 Mi16 all come with DFW and CAT engines.

CAT was the first thing that went in the trach bin. Pipes 60 cm to the middle, than 55 to the end. Car works perfect and no complaints so far.

MiCRO
I got DFW engine - rebuilt recently. But i am not in UK , hehe :)

in East Europe 4x4 Mi16 all come with DFW and CAT engines.

CAT was the first thing that went in the trach bin. Pipes 60 cm to the middle, than 55 to the end.  Car works perfect and no complaints so far.

Did you notice any improvements in performance with this modification?

What is original fi of pipes?

lee-bg

Original was 60 cm at the manifold to the CAT, then goes to 50 at the back.

To tell you the truth i didnt see any significant change, beside the fact the car sounds now a bit like 1,4i :))) on idle. but thats because i use standart back exhaust, not a sport one.

I think its true whast they say that Peugeot exhaust system is as good as the factory one is calculated.

p.s. the notice was seen when i removed the CAT. The car can breathe now much better than before.

Edited by lee-bg

Sign in to follow this