• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ryan13961345402285

Power Steering Ram

ryan13961345402285

On my car there is a ram on the power steering rack (on the near side of the rack) Should this ram have some sort of a rubber boot over it to protect it? Also on the ram itself there is a small rubber ring that doesn't seem to do anything except slide up and down the ram. Anyone any ideas?

Guest pugmt

The ram normally has a plastic sleeve over it, however these do not last very long so i shouldn't wory about it. A picture of the rubber floating part may help identify what it is.

ryan13961345402285

Will try and get a pic but the nose of the car is in the dark end of the shed, on axle stands.

ryan13961345402285

Here's a pic

Guest pugmt

not sure what that is, never seen anything like that on a 405 rack ram before.....

JOHN89MI16

Has anyone ever tried changing the steering rack gaitor that is in that picture?

I tried today but spent 2 hours getting nowhere.

Its on the passenger side front of the car and the ram that is in the picture bolts on to a stud that sticks out from the steering arm and i can not for the life of me remove the stud or the arm to fit the new gaitor because it wont go past the stud.

My car has power steering and in the haynes manual it says main stealer only and im not rich enough to afford there labour costs. :(

Any help on this would be great so that i can get 12 months MOT. Thanks

Guest turbolag

Get ome self vulcanising tape and make a bodge repair for the MOT, while you condsider your next move.

JOHN89MI16
Get ome self vulcanising tape and make a bodge repair for the MOT, while you condsider your next move.

Whats self volcanising tape? I dont mean to sound dumb but i dont do alot of MOT work (only this dam car anyway). <_<

If its to fix the old one then ive got no chance because it was hanging off and totally shot. It fell off as soon as i gave it a little pull. :(

Guest turbolag

It's like insulating tape, but thicker. It's a p;lasticky/rubbery feel, but it also self vulcanises, ie, if you wrap it round it slowly congeals into 1 solid item, instead of 1 long strip. A bodge, but it'll get you a ticket, but perhaps not if the old one's hanging on by a thread.

JOHN89MI16

Where could i get some of the tape? Maybe i can bodge it enough for it to pass.

Guest turbolag

any decent car part emporium.

JOHN89MI16

Just a quick update on the impossible to change steering rack gaitor on the n/s that haynes say isnt possible unless your a main steeler.

I managed to change it a few days ago to pass the MOT without the need to remove the steering rack. All i done was buy a universal gaitor, slotted it over and past the stupid unremoveable stud and cable tied it down in its correct possition. All it cost was £10 and 2 hours of my time. Job done! :D

Sign in to follow this