• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ryan13961345402285

Thin Paint?

ryan13961345402285

Just started to buff the 405 today but there are a couple of places where I can vaguely make out that the paint is starting to rub through. I'm using a very mild abrasive and a damp mop head on the buffer.

I seem to remember my first 405 back in 1993 had a similar problem.

Anyone else have this problem? Looks like I'm going to have to do the rest of the car by hand :unsure:

You just gotta love the build quality!

Feeble

Don't know what you're talking about... :P

post-89-134540325017_thumb.jpg

(Edit due to pic size, can you keep them a bit smaller please)

Edited by Jer309GTi

welshpug

is it red, black or silver? as other colours dont suffer half as much (bar diablo red and its laquer)

ryan13961345402285

Mine is Alpine white. Its not faded as such, just very easy to damage when buffing.

KRISKARRERA

Feeble that's the lacquer coming off on yours isn't it?

I'd join up on the detailing world forum and see what they say, there's some real experts on there. The true anoraks use one of those paint thickness gauge things to see how much paint is left.

ryan13961345402285

I've been buffing/valeting cars for almost 15 years and 405's and 205's are really the only cars I've ever seen this on.

Too many anoraks with their Porter Cables on detaling world.

KRISKARRERA
I've been buffing/valeting cars for almost 15 years and 405's and 205's are really the only cars I've ever seen this on.

Too many anoraks with their Porter Cables on detaling world.

Oh dear I spoke too soon there then didn't I!

What do you use then? I thought a rotary thing with a foam pad and some G3 was supposed to be where it's at for bringing up the paintwork, or am I wrong? :D

ryan13961345402285

Lol. I have a Makita rotary buffer (almost 400 quids worth :cries:) and use alot of trade compounds, glazes etc A Porter Cable (the Detailing World favourite) is a random orbital buffer which takes alot longer to use than a rotary. I just can't figure out why people need so many different products on those forums

G3 isn't bad stuff tho!

KRISKARRERA

Is it ok to use a non-orbital rotary buffer? I've heard they can burn the paint more easily.

Feeble

That car is only my donor, but the paint on my red one is still faded!

Sign in to follow this