• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Mi16Lemans

It Wasn't The Lambda

Mi16Lemans

Well, it turns out that my engine problem wasn't the ambda sensor...

although if I unplg the new one when the engine is running the misfire gets slightly worse so I guess a new one was in order anyhow.?

I have bee looking through the good old useless haynes manual and looking on the Aussie Frogs and people who have had the same problem in the past mention it may be the 'Knock/speed' sensor.? Now I'm guessing that as I have a cat on my car even though its a 1990 model I have the DFW engine - I have tried to confirm this but with no joy.. The Haynes book says that my engine has the 1.3 motronic.? and that it with have a engine position sensor.? could this be my problem.???

on tick over the engine seems to run fine but with a misfire, but runs almost constantly,, the problem only get really bad when actually driving, and exspecially when trying to pull away, but get it to about 2.5 - 3k revs and its fine..

One person on the Aussie Frogs also said (in the past) that it may be due to a faulty Ignition module.?

One thing that is odd is that when the engine is ticking over (not to badly) the rev counter sits anywhere from between 2000 - 4500 revs but when actually driving it works fine - could this be a result from something electrical causing the running problem.???

I have checked the idel control valve and inside it seems very clean and free moving, also the pipes around it and many others attached to the manifold and throttle body don't seem to have any leaks..!!

So does anybody know if a faulty Knock sensor or ignition modual could cause such a problem.?

...oh yeah and one more thing that may be of interest... when the car is left running, it seems to be over fuelling as their is sometimes (most of the time) quite a strong smell of petrol...

so please.... anybody,, any ideas.??

..Tony..

Jer309GTi

Have you posted up the ECU code before? So we can work out what management you are running and so can go from there :)

Guest pugmt

If your car has a cat and lambda sensor, is a DFW type. Then it will have Motronic Mp 1.3 but this can be in 2 types. 1: with dynamic ignition i.e: distributor cap on the end of the cylinder head, or 2: static type ignition i.e: solid coil with 4 outlets for the plug leads and a 4 pin connector (looks like a square block of plastic).

1:Have you read the ecu for fault codes?

2:If you have a static ignition type coil, then try watching it at night without a light. As these often break down and track between outlets, you will be able to see it arking. Difficult to see in daylight?

3:You said you have an issue with the rev counter, this picks up its signal fron the ignition module, so it could be an ignition module fault, does anyone close to you have an MI16, if so borrow the module and try before you buy one?

KRISKARRERA
If your car has a cat and lambda sensor, is a DFW type. Then it will have Motronic Mp 1.3 but this can be in 2 types. 1: with dynamic ignition i.e: distributor cap on the end of the cylinder head, or 2: static type ignition i.e: solid coil with 4 outlets for the plug leads and a 4 pin connector (looks like a square block of plastic).

The 1905cc Mi16s never had a non dizzy cap set up though! Only the later 1.9 8 valve engine was lucky enough to get that.

Mi16Lemans

Well, I've been under the bonnet for the past hour or so just looking at stuff. I took the ignition module off and it looks almost new.? (is it attached to an aluminium plate along side the battery.?)

I took all the plugs out and, again they are new and seem in good condition..

One thing I did come across though is possibly something with the coil..

This was replaced by the previous owner,, but I can only get one reading from it with a multimeter,, shouldn't their be two.??

The 4 pin plug is numbered 1 - 4 with 1 being near the engine and 4 being nearer the radiator.. if i put a multimeter between contacts 1+2 I get a reading of 0.6ohms which according to the haynes book is correct but I can't get any other reading from any combination of connectors.. No: 4 is connected to the 'capasitior', right.? sorry to sound dumb but I'm useless when it comes to fixing or understanding cars..

Also Like I said the problem becomes a 1000 times worse worse when pulling away (putting the engine under load) isn't this a classic coil/leads/plugs problem..

Edited by Mi16Lemans

Roland1345402284
...oh yeah and one more thing that may be of interest... when the car is left running, it seems to be over fuelling as their is sometimes (most of the time) quite a strong smell of petrol... 

..Tony..

Dirty injectors maybe?

Mi16Lemans

Funny you should mention the injectors, if you look at the injectors from the front of the car the sencond one in from the left - you can feel it pulsing but not with the other three. are new injectors expensive or are they easy'ish to remove and clean.?

Edited by Mi16Lemans

Roland1345402284
Funny you should mention the injectors, if you look at the injectors from the front of the car the sencond one in from the left - you can feel it pulsing but not with the other three. are new injectors expensive or are they easy'ish to remove and clean.?

They are easy to remove and get cleaned. This is done ultrasonically and they are tested for pressure, flow and pattern at the same time.

I haven't a clue about the cost of this in UK.

No doubt your friendly Fuel Injection workshop will be able to help.

OR - have a look on ebay - second hand ones from 2pounds upwards!

Edited by Roland

welshpug

so it has a cat and lambda, but also a dizzy cap and single coil and amp, which means its a 1.9

cant remember what system this is, but its very rare on a 405 IIRC, especially in the UK.

KRISKARRERA

It's the same system as any DFW Mi16 aka the 1.9 Mi with a catalyst - the Motronic M1.3. It's just the same as our Motronic M1.3 but with a lambda added. Seems very few were ever released here though, which isn't surprising seeing as Pug stopped making the 1.9 Mi when lower emissions became law, so there was never any need for us to have the catalyst model.

lee-bg

Mine was having simillar problems and it turned out to be the spark cables. Bought new ones and problem solved. I had also trouble with ECU , but thats another story.

p.s. mine is DFW exactly. with CAT/Lambda. (of course CAT is gone).

ECU ends on 161, Motronic 1.3 3 row

Sign in to follow this