• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
JamesLeMans831345402285

Flakey Laquer

JamesLeMans831345402285

Any one else have the problem on the roof where the laquer just starts bubbling away? My LeMans is starting to get quite bad I've spoken to 2 other Lemans owners who have the same problem, guess its common througout the range.

Does anyone know of any good bodyshops aroung liverpool/northwest to sort this for me?

I'm half tempted just to get somesort of roof decal to put over it, union jack anyone? :lol:

JOHN89MI16

There are many factors involved in why laquer starts to bubble/flake/peal etc..

One of the main reasons is that it might have been painted before by someone and it wasnt prepared properly prior to receiving a base coat or a laquer (clear coat).

Also it could be that the paint and laquer was from 2 different companies (makers) and they dont bond together. Ive know it to happen alot or it might just be a factory mistake because chrysler neons have the same problem from the factory and ive had to correct many of them.

If its near the centre u should be able to just get the roof painted without the need to blend the colour for a match.

Cant help you with the paint job though because im not near liverpool. Soz.

Hope the info was of some help.

KRISKARRERA

Miles once told me something like the paint went eco-friendly around then and there was some problems with it.

JamesLeMans831345402285

Damned Hippies!

Cheers for the info, its not just in the center but all over like the pox :( Real shame as everywhere else is spot on as she only done 58 thousand. Could you give me rough Idea of what I should be lookig to pay to get this sorted please john?

JOHN89MI16

It depends on how bad it looks and if it needs blending or if you not fussy about getting a good colour match.

If it was me doing the work you could be looking at anything from £150 for just doing the whole roof which would involve removing the old paint, masking the car to avoid overspray and applying a primer, sanding it down, remasking and then painting it in a low bake oven or £400 if you wanted the tops of all 4 doors doing and the 2 rear quarter panels for a 100% colour match which is the same process as above but more labour due to the 6 extra panels.

Its not easy repairing and painting cars properly due to labour charges, the time it takes and cost of materials. Every customer i deal with thinks its just a 2 minute job to do and it will look perfect when the manufactures dont do a great job themselves from the factory.

This is just a rough quote because whoever you get quotes off need to see it to give you a proper price but i hope i gave you a ball park figure.

Also the eco friendly paint is called water based paint because it doesnt have a solvent in it to cure the base coat (the colour) and all the big bodyshops are using it now but its abit more expensive to buy.

Baz

Is it just patchy or major? If it's just a few patches you can carefully wet and dry out the where it's peeling, then polish it all in, perhaps mop it to all look good, will of course never be perfect but it's worked for me to look half decent again before, hell, it's what i'm paid for! :lol:

JamesLeMans831345402285

Yeh I know its not a two min job, just trying to find someone I trust to do it like! Cheers for the rough price guide, I have been quoted 150-200 from various body shops pug garage about 250. I cant sand them out unfortunatly as small amounts of surface rust are rising so need to get it covered over. Already costing me a few hundered to get back on te road, so cosmetics will have to come in the comming months :rolleyes:

Tookas

Hi

Newbie on the site. I got myself a Le Mans about 2 months ago and the laquer was shot all over the bonnet/roof and boot lid. This apparently is common on the Le Mans. Whole car needs some tlc and is currently having a full respray as i post. Expensive for a 13 y.o. car but getting rare so why not???

KRISKARRERA

Good on you!

Welcome to the forum.

Just one quick request: could you fill in your location on your profile please?

Thanks

Kris

Guest badboyracer3500
Hi

Newbie on the site. I got myself a Le Mans about 2 months ago and the laquer was shot all over the bonnet/roof and boot lid. This apparently is common on the Le Mans. Whole car needs some tlc and is currently having a full respray as i post. Expensive for a 13 y.o. car but getting rare so why not???

Hi and welcome, you say expensive, how much is it costing you? i got quotes of 1000-1500

Baz

I wouldn't of thought it'd be that much! But i suppose Diablo red's a pretty hard match so would be worth doing the whole car!

Tookas

Morning. Costing me £1250. This is for full stripdown, trim removal, dent removal etc. Saw it yesterday looking very sorry for itself but will look great when done. The guy doing it used to be a sprayer for Peugeot and Aston Martin. Seen a 306 he did in Diablo and it looks stunning. :)

Jer309GTi
Morning. Costing me £1250. This is for full stripdown, trim removal, dent removal etc. Saw it yesterday looking very sorry for itself but will look great when done. The guy doing it used to be a sprayer for Peugeot and Aston Martin. Seen a 306 he did in Diablo and it looks stunning. :)

Morning :)

Sounds like you are going to have a concourse (sp?) 405 when your done. Have you taken any 'before' pics, and then taking some after the spray job for comparison?

Tookas

No I didn't take any before photos which in hindsight was a bit silly! However it only looked rough when close up so any whole car shots wouldn't have looked too bad. Problem is when finished I'll be too scared driving it in case of STONE CHIPS!!!!!!! :lol:

cybernck

diablo looks superb on a 405!

or should i say, a 405 in diablo looks great! :)

Sloppy

what do you rekon is the best colour for a 405?

i always like blakc, had a mk2 in it but never seen another since and that was black as it was an x newcastly hackney carriage so was sprayed black over white?

Might get mine done which is cherry, either re-do the outside or new coulour but just seeing what people oppinions are on the best colour?

Edited by Sloppy

Feeble

How much would a blow over cost? I hate my faded bonnet! :lol:

Tookas

Have to say I've always liked the gun metal grey and sorrento green myself.

Sloppy
Have to say I've always liked the gun metal grey and sorrento green myself.

to be honest im not a fan of either really was think more black, white or keep the red?

Tookas

In which case go for the black! :)

Borntobewild

Black!!!!

Guest badboyracer3500

Definately black :P

Sloppy

black is an easyewr colour to spray and match at a later date if needs be but will mean i have to do alot more prep work, could be worth it though!

Anyone ever seen a black mk2?

KRISKARRERA
Anyone ever seen a black mk2?
I think so yes.

Guest badboyracer3500

Have you got his fone no.? it might be worth havin quote from him for my car.

Sign in to follow this