• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
danrogers

Clutch Cable

danrogers

Hi all, the time has come to fit a new clutch cable, as the old one broke whislt going through kfc!!

got a new cable jus wondering if there is anything that could help me along in the fitting as im not to confidient as ive never done one before?

any help would be much apprieciated

Dan

welshpug

long arms and strong skinny hands, and a good head for working upside down and not seeing what your hands are trying to do.

took me half an hour to do mine :)

danrogers

haha cheers mate, sounds do-able. any special/helpfull tools you think might come in handy?

welshpug

long nose pliers for the clip on the pedal, and some washing up liquid to help the rubber bit fit into the hole on the bulkhead.

danrogers

alright people, i got down to doing the job today to find that the cable was fine. the thing thats broken is the plastic bracket that holds the cable to the top of the pedal, via the metal clip. jus wondering how many other people have had these break and how easy they are to get hold of?

KRISKARRERA
alright people, i got down to doing the job today to find that the cable was fine. the thing thats broken is the plastic bracket that holds the cable to the top of the pedal, via the metal clip. jus wondering how many other people have had these break and how easy they are to get hold of?

Yes I think we've all had that happen before! I think Pug still stock them. But why couldn't the fools make them out of metal!?

If I were you I'd fit a new cable anyway.

danrogers

yeah crazy idea metal would have surely suited the job better, i might buy two of them, 1 for stock!

spose it would be a good idea to stick the new cable in like u say only cost £10 lol. shame its so damn tight working up by the bulkhead like that i got a back back now!

lee-bg

they are made of plastic at the end so that we can discuss this now and/or change it at some time ;)) otherwise they would last forever, not good for 'spare parts department' :lol:

the gas pedal cable is with plastic end too :(

danrogers

yeah i should imagine that it wouldnt b that hard to make up a metal one? anyone tryed?

has anyone had the accererator pedal one go?

Edited by danrogers

Jer309GTi

(lee-bg can you enter your location into your profile please)

lee-bg

danrogers: its not that hard to make a metal one, but you need a guy who works with alloys and liquid metal...if thats the name.

:D I got made a shotgun arm rest some time ago - original was plastic, they made perfect aliminium one.

Guest badboyracer3500

I've never had throttle one go, but have changed the clutch one several times on different 405s.

Have learnt over time its a lot easer if you disconnect clutch end of cable before connecting peddle end.

As for the plastic clip its a nightmere and i have on accasion removed pedal box to get it on.

danrogers

sorted it all 2nite in the dark, was the most flustrating job ive ever done getting that plastic rocker thing in the groove and over the top of the damn pedal!! was out there for hours lol maybe i should av dropped the pedal box... how easy is that to get off?

oh well all gravy seems fine now and clutch nice n smooth, still a bit heavy but thats standard with these cars right?

Guest badboyracer3500
sorted it all 2nite in the dark, was the most flustrating job ive ever done getting that plastic rocker thing in the groove and over the top of the damn pedal!! was out there for hours lol maybe i should av dropped the pedal box... how easy is that to get off?

oh well all gravy seems fine now and clutch nice n smooth, still a bit heavy but thats standard with these cars right?

Tbh mines very light.

Always thought pugs were???

KRISKARRERA

Crikey Gavin! Pugs are renowned for their evil heavy clutches. It's good though, it puts women off driving them! :lol:

Guest badboyracer3500
Crikey Gavin! Pugs are renowned for their evil heavy clutches. It's good though, it puts women off driving them! :lol:

I've had 5 405s and not 1 with a heavy clutch :blink: or have i just been lucky?? :P

Edited by badboyracer3500

KRISKARRERA

I guess it depends what you call "heavy"! Have you ever driven a newer car with a hydraulic clutch? They're super light, perhaps too light really.

danrogers

yeah i dont like those new car clutches atall.

yeah the 3 mi's ive driven over the years all seem to have heavy clutch haha yeah dont need women driving them, allready a rare car lol!!

Guest P Zero

I've had the plastic clip on the accelerator go before. I had to jam a bit of wood in the throttle mechanism to get the revs up enough to drive home. It was an easy job to replace it once I got it there though.

Sign in to follow this