• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Jer309GTi

Extra Aerial Lead?

Jer309GTi

I was checking through my wiring under the radio today as I had an electrical problem, and whilst I was upside-down in the footwell I discovered what seems to be an extra aerial lead :blink: . It comes up from under the carpet under the centre console. The cable is red, and thinner than the aerial cable that runs to the back of the car.

Anyone got any ideas what it could be for? I can't see where it comes out

Feeble

Think I've got one of those as well... I did wonder what it was for! :unsure:

triple_a_motorsport

Its joins to an aerial in the rear windscreen, look in the top left hand corner theres a button like fitting there which it attaches too, i believe its the long wave aerial. Quite a good idea really obviously no good when you dont have the standard radio though.

Jer309GTi

Ah ha! Thanks very much :) It all makes sense now!

Guest badboyracer3500

I use this lead as main aerial, it works really well and don't need to worry about leaving aerial up for a**eholes to snap off.

Jer309GTi

Ah good tip Gavin, I'll connect it up tomorrow and see what kind of reception I get :)

Guest badboyracer3500
Ah good tip Gavin, I'll connect it up tomorrow and see what kind of reception I get :)

the reason i did this is because my electric aerial has a mind of its own, every time i switched the car off it would go down fine but when i return to the car it was always up <_<:blink: so i've had to disconnect it. :(

KRISKARRERA

I'll have to have a look for this wire or whatever it is.

Feeble

Hmm. Good idea! My aerial doesnt work any more so I might be better off using that! Not there's ever anything good on the radio! :lol:

Jer309GTi
I'll have to have a look for this wire or whatever it is.

If you take off one of the side panels of the centre console and shine a torch in behind you should spot it

KRISKARRERA

Oh ok thanks, what colour is it?

Jer309GTi

Bright red on mine mate

ryan13961345402285

What has anyone used to blank the hole left in the quarter panel after removing the aerial?

KRISKARRERA
What has anyone used to blank the hole left in the quarter panel after removing the aerial?

Mine's never had an aerial there and just has a blanking gromit. Looks a bit cack really, I suppose I should colour code it :P .

Baz

Ahh strange but interesting find, may come in handy! :)

Jer309GTi

How about leaving the old aerial in place, but cutting it off just inside the car, and fixing in place, maybe with silicone sealer or a hot glue gun? Will be water tight, and just look like the aerial is down.

The best option would be to weld a small plate behind the hole, fill and spray but that would cost £££s

ryan13961345402285

I got a small plastic disc today and cut the original grommet down nearly flush. Sprayed the plastic disc and stuck it to the grommet. Doesn't look too bad oddly enough! (although in theory it sounds sh*te)

Guest badboyracer3500
I got a small plastic disc today and cut the original grommet down nearly flush.  Sprayed the plastic disc and stuck it to the grommet.  Doesn't look too bad oddly enough! (although in theory it sounds sh*te)

<_<:):D:lol:

i'll just leave the old aerial in for now. ;)

Feeble

Connecting to the awesome new aerial is a great idea! Leaving the old one in until I can afford a respray is also a good idea! ;)

Jer309GTi
We need pics !

Of the other lead? Or ways of blanking the old hole? If you want one of the lead I'll take one tomorrow as I already have the side panels off of the centre console.

Silky

Of the lead please mate

Jer309GTi

Here's the lead. It comes out in the centre of the carpet under the centre console.

post-89-134540322573_thumb.jpg

ryan13961345402285

I couldn't leave my aerial in though thats why I had to stick on the bit of plastic (aerial was broken off at the end) I'll post a pic later

Sign in to follow this