• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
JOHN89MI16

Drilled And Grooved Discs

JOHN89MI16

Ive been after some drilled and grooved discs for a while now because my standard ones are unable to cope with my braking needs.

While looking on ebay i came across some discs that seem ok but i was wondering if anyone has bought and fitted them and if they are any good.

It also says they will fit most 405's engine sizes but i thought the phase 1 mi16 has bigger front discs than the smaller engine cars.

If anyone wants to check them out, cut and paste this number 300084360233 into ebay search box and let me know what they think.

Feeble

I was looking at them not 5 minutes ago and wondering if they were any good... :)

Jer309GTi

I've no personal experience, but I've heard a lot of people say not to get drilled discs as the drilling makes them weaker and more prone to cracking. Which would make sense really.

Oh, and Haynes says all phase 1's have 266mm front discs

cybernck

correct, drilling makes them prone to cracking and reduces the area of braking surface.

groves just deglaze the pads and keep them flat.

it's only worth going for 4 or 6 groves and that's it - any more is just for show.

better get some good brake pads such as Ferodo DS2000 / DS2500.

KRISKARRERA

Yes so long as they are ventilated they'll fit, it was only the carb models that had solid front discs.

ryan13961345402285

For any of my road cars and indeed some of the race cars we build I simply get a good quality disc and make a single groove in it using a die grinder and carbide burr which deglazes the pad. Not as pretty as expensive discs, but seems to do the job

petert1345402284

For my race car, and Mi16x4, I buy Valeo discs and slot them while they're new (six per side) with a 3mm ball nose cutter. They're impossible to mill once they've been used. They seem to last better than anything else. Forget anything with holes.

JOHN89MI16

Thanks for the info guys. I was going to have to change my discs soon anyway so i might just give it ago with the grinder and if i mess it up i wont be no worse off. Thanks everyone. :D

KRISKARRERA

Would it be possible to grind a design into them or writing, such as "Mi16"?

Feeble

Now that would be cool! :P

petert1345402284

Anything you like!

Edited by petert

KRISKARRERA

Anything you like!

Oh wow!! Is that a picture from the programme that controls the grinder thingy?

petert1345402284
Oh wow!! Is that a picture from the programme that controls the grinder thingy?

It's software called Mastercam, which generates toolpaths for mills, lathes, routers etc. Here's a bigger screenshot.

KRISKARRERA

This is so unfair. I'm going to move to Austrailia. It would cost a fortune to have you buy me some discs and then post them out here.

Jer309GTi

Anything you like!

How about a batch of '405mi16.com' etched discs?! :D

ryan13961345402285

Mastercam rocks.

Baz

Blimey! You can do anything with the right tooling! :D

petert1345402284
Mastercam rocks.

Understatement. I started using it approx. 15 years ago when it was originally a DOS version. It is truely amazing and can mill surfaces that you couldn't even draw. Luckily work bought it as I could never afford it. It was about AUS$20K, not sure it costs now.

Rippthrough

I can probably get discs CNC milled like that, if anyone wanted a set for shows, etc.

KRISKARRERA

For shows? Can't I just have some to use??

stuart.m
For shows? Can't I just have some to use??

yeah its a good idea they'd look really smart. ive seen something similar once before, was on a ford orion or something, they just said 'sport' but just the fact that there was something to read on there made you look :D

JOHN89MI16

If anyone could get Mi16 etched into some discs then i would be interested as long as they can be used for everyday driving.

Sign in to follow this