• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ryan13961345402285

Power Steering Pipe

ryan13961345402285

Hi folks,

there is a steel pipe under the Mi16 on the left hand side which I think is a power steering pipe. The pipe comes from the engine bay, goes half way down the car, then turns and goes back into the engine bay. Basically this pipe is rotten on my car. I was wondering has anyone ever replaced it before? If so is it possible to use a different kind of pipe (eg rubber hosing) or does this pipe act as some sort of a cooling aid for the steering fluid?

Thanks

Ryan

Feeble

I saw that when I was under there and wondered what it was... :P

Can't help you though :(

Jer309GTi

This is to cool the power steering fluid, so I wouldn't do away with it. Not sure if it is on the high pressure side or not so I'd be dubious of replacing it with rubber hose. Have you tried your Pug dealer for a price for a new one?

ryan13961345402285

I checked the parts CD there and it says its a low pressure pipe, but since its a cooling pipe replacing it with rubber wont be much good. I'll try the Pug dealers on Tuesday

Guest Robley

What year is it and have you got air-con, there are a few different types

the 2.0l mi16 w/ac is £120 from pug, i know i need one plus the pump to now

ryan13961345402285

Its a 1992 1.9 Mi16 with air-con. If its going to be serious money I'll make one myself at work

Guest Robley

not sure about the ph1's but the one on my Mi had a non-return valve half way along the rubber hose section.

Edited by Robley

cybernck

there's something similar on a T16, behind the front bumper.

mine got all rotten and started to leak so i replaced it with steel-reinforced high pressure rubber hose.

ryan13961345402285

Contacted Peugeot today and this piece of pipe is costing £70. For a piece of mild steel piping! I checked the parts CD and the Mi16's are the only ones that have this pipe so I assume its for cooling the power steering fluid and possibly for adding a bit of extra capacity. Gonna have a go at making one and see how it works out

AndyB1345402284

i had this pipe go on my car. took it to the garage(guy i bought my house off so get good deals), and he told me the part from peugeot was 65 bucks, so instead he fitted a nylon(i think thats what he said, but is bright yellow anyway) pipe that cost £20. that was over 2 years ago now and it looks as good as the day he did it so might be worth looking into.

Andy

ryan13961345402285

I got a length of copper piping and made one myself. Job sorted!

Sign in to follow this