• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
stuart.m

Engine Light

stuart.m

Hi,

As im sure you know i bought an mi16 the other day. Now the engine management light, or the 'k-light', is coming on sometimes.

It only happens on dual carriageways/motorways - ill join a motorway, get to 70 and keep at 70 or very close to it, and after a couple of minutes the light will come on usually (not every time but almost always). It'll stay on, then when i reach a slip road or a roundabout and slow down, it goes off when i slow down to below 20mph-ish, happens every time as soon as i slow down it goes off.

Ive driven hundreds of miles the last few days, and its never missed a beat, starts first time, no misfiring, idling is fine, temperatures are fine (the gauges say the water temp usually sits below 80 deg C, rising to 90 in traffic, and ive never seen the oil temp go above 90 deg, usually way below that), so apart from the light it runs great. Basically, im hoping that somebody has come across similar circumstances before :lol: . Will do a diagnostics check on it, but cant do anything till about Thursday/Friday.

Any help is much appreciated,

Stuart

Jer309GTi

If you can't notice any missfire or odd engine running then maybe this is down to a dodgy sensor? Best thing is do the diagnostic check like you said, and see what comes up :)

stuart.m
If you can't notice any missfire or odd engine running then maybe this is down to a dodgy sensor? Best thing is do the diagnostic check like you said, and see what comes up :)

yeah thats pretty much my plan! got the whole diagnostic section for the car from autodata, with the accessing and the codes, so it'll be done on wednesday!

Jer309GTi

2Ltr Kris, I saw it in a previous post :)

stuart.m

Yeah 2ltr, thanks Jer309GTi, I did reply to KrisKarrera ages ago but it said all posts must be moderated etc, i always wonder if its ever going to appear :)

stuart.m

Quick update! Did the diagnostics today and it gave code 25, 'Intake manifold air control solenoid'. So i got the multimeter across it and, according to the Autodata cd, there should be a resistance of about 50 ohms, but theres nothing at all there, no connectivity at all, so i guess its safe to say its broken. Id never really looked before but its clear enough to see the acav (i think its called) system isnt working at all, can take the engine right up through the rev range and nothing moves at all (e.g. the rods on the diaphragms or anything). So... up early tomorrow and phone all the peugeot parts desks I can find, hopefully i can find one and get this sorted. :D

stuart.m
Yep, diaphragms, common problem that.

yeah, will get the solenoid changed ASAP and work from there.

stuart.m

solenoid is on order should get it tomorrow! It might be too optimistic to think that the whole system will work perfectly with this changed, but hopefully it will be the end of the k-light coming on! fingers crossed

stuart.m

New solenoid is on, engine light's gone, and the car feels a bit better :D was only £21 from peugeot! just as a thought, wouldnt it be a good idea having maybe a pinned thread just for people to add part numbers and stuff, would have been a lot more difficult explaining to the parts desk over the phone what i wanted, without knowing that they called it an 'electrovalve', i got the part number off another forum (cant remember either 306 forum / 205 drivers)

just an idea...

Feeble

So what does this thingy do then? My K light is quite often on and the car runs like a pig! :(

Would it help me too do you reckon? :)

KRISKARRERA

Nope because yours is an XU9J4 and doesn't have the variable inlet thingy :D

Feeble

Damn :P

stuart.m
So what does this thingy do then? My K light is quite often on and the car runs like a pig! :(

if the light is coming on then its should be saving error codes, would be worth getting it diagnosed. give me a pm and ill look out the instructions for doing it for ur car if u like, usually just need an LED and a few bits of wire, and a switch maybe. I never had much faith in these systems but it came out with the right answer for me, so its got to be worth a go.

JOHN89MI16

I had lots of engine running problems with my xu9j4 engine and the k light was on. I changed the engine management relay and it solved my running problems.

KRISKARRERA

Yeah there's a good thread on the Froggie forum about fault code reading.

AndyB1345402284

i'd be interested in how you replace it/part number etc as exactly the same problem is happening with mine and have no idea about replacing said parts etc.

any help would be welcome.

Andy

stuart.m
i'd be interested in how you replace it/part number etc as exactly the same problem is happening with mine and have no idea about replacing said parts etc.

any help would be welcome.

Andy

its easy to replace - connector and hoses off the old old one, take it out (is just 2 nuts then it will pull out), the the new one in :D and battery off for a few minutes to clear the fault codes. I am away from home just now and dont have the part code here, but if ur still wanting it can PM u it in a couple days when im back. Description was 'VALVE - ELECTRO' and it was £21 odd including VAT.

AndyB1345402284

thanks, that would be great.

Andy

Sign in to follow this