• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
welshpug

Confuzzled With My Brakes

welshpug

Right, i'm getting really frustrated with my Mi16 (405 tongue.gif )

basically the MOT picked up pitted rear discs as well as low efficiency on the parking brake, I noticed the fronts were low too.

I had spares for the front, and Paul kindly sold me the complete setup off his sorrento (calipers and recent pads and discs)

Front calipers were pretty good, all went on fine up there, pistons pushed back fairly easily by hand.

On the rear I though it would be easier to just swap the whole setup, and to overhaul the original calipers at a later date, I clamped the flexis, swapped the calipers (after winding them back a turn) fitted the discs and pads then proceeded to bleed the system.

I used a non return valve and my brother pumping the pedal at my instruction, didnt take long for either side.

now comes the problem, the pedal went to the floor with a little resistance, no leaks or loss of fluid :huh: I was advised by my local garage that the seals in the M/C would be the likely culprits so I have fitted a new unit, bled the system again, hardly any air coming out, but as soon as I try to move the car the pedal sinks, though it does now stop the car, allbeit nowhere near as well as it should :angry:

the abs light is on too, so i changed one sensor which I knew had a dodgy wire, and cleaned all the trigger rings (full of grease at the front and iron fillings at the back) but its still on and I dont know if I need to clear a fault or something???

HELP!!!!

(its going in to the garage Tuesday for this and the MOT, but anything I can do to help them along saves me a bit of cash)

Jer309GTi

You almost described word for word the problems I've been having with mine! Did you take the rear calipers off, jam the piston with the wind-back tool and bleed with the nipples facing upwards?

welshpug

used a screwdriver ;) and the nipples point upwards while they're bolted onto the car anyways!!!!

Jer309GTi

Not on the back of a Phase 1 they dont! Did you only bleed the fronts then? Because when you said 'proceeded to bleed the system' I thought you bled the rears too? Maybe the rear calipers are mounted differently on a Phase 2?

welshpug

tis a phase2!!

bled the whole system! inc the abs unit.

Jer309GTi

In that case it seems we have the same problem. I had the same symptoms, and replaced the m/cyl and there is still a problem. I'm going to give the brakes another bleed this weekend as I have to change some pipes and hopefully I can sort it. Might be worth giving yours another bleed?

welshpug

garage will be working on it tomorrow morning so I'll report back what they find :)

Jer309GTi

Cool, I'll be very interested in knowing what they find! :)

welshpug

a foobared load compensator, hence very little fluid shifting in the rear pipes when they used their power bleeder! that an a fault with the ABS relay, both of which sound expensive and are on order :(

Mr Teflon

WELSHPUG - check the relay isn't this ...

search "405 regulator" on ebay

(link wont work?)

Edited by Mr Teflon

welshpug

bloody ell! thats not the relay but the rear load compensator, about £58 from GSF! one problem, my car is in the garage on the 4 post and that auction doesn't end till next week and the part is already ordered :(

i'll still have a bid though :)

Jer309GTi
a foobared load compensator, hence very little fluid shifting in the rear pipes when they used their power bleeder!  that an a fault with the ABS relay, both of which sound expensive and are on order :(

Well thats put the cat amongst the pigeons, I'm not running a compensator as I took mine off! Got a new one now so I'll put that on and try again. My compensator bought from GSF turned out to be genuine Pug one, result ;) Glad you got yours sorted mate :)

Mr Teflon
bloody ell! thats not the relay but the rear load compensator, about £58 from GSF!  one problem, my car is in the garage on the 4 post and that auction doesn't end till next week and the part is already ordered :(

That's what I thought - is that the correct part number for the compensator?

I am in need of a rod for mine (the pistons are working but the rod has gone) so I may have a punt if it's the right bit!

Jer309GTi

Got mine sorted too today, happy now :)

Mr Teflon, my rod had broken (rusted away and snapped) too, as well as being seized so it must be a weak spot on them. Think I'll give my new one a good soaking of spray grease every service to try and keep the rust at bay.

Guest serrento405

Got mine sorted too today, happy now :)

Mr Teflon, my rod had broken (rusted away and snapped) too, as well as being seized so it must be a weak spot on them. Think I'll give my new one a good soaking of spray grease every service to try and keep the rust at bay.

nearly all 405 i have done work better when ive used power bleeder,you never seem to get a good pedal with out one,must be some presure in the line at all times me thinks <_<

Mr Teflon
bloody ell! thats not the relay but the rear load compensator, about £58 from GSF!  one problem, my car is in the garage on the 4 post and that auction doesn't end till next week and the part is already ordered :(

Ah yes - so it was ......

438953405_a0ab703b8b.jpg

£10.98 delivered.

I'm just fitting the spring though ...... :blink:

welshpug

paint it first!!!!

Mr Teflon

Will do! Cheers!

Jer309GTi

Paint all of it? I've got to fit mine this weekend. I'm guess the trusty Haynes manual gives you the length of threaded bar that should be through the nut, to get the initial adjustment right?

Mr Teflon

My Mi is in for a wheel bearing at Auto Workshop in Coventry today. I'll get them to chuck the spring on while they have it.

After that, I think we're good to go. Went over to Avon Autospares in Rugby last weekend and got an electric window regulator, central locking motor, blower motor and clock (£25 all in) - all fitted last Sunday.

Got a load of subtle graphics made up and delivered - chucking them on the car this weekend.

The car looks reasonable, drives nearly perfectly and the engine simply purrs :)

Edited by Mr Teflon

Sloppy

how exactly did you get the brakes working good again, i serviced my rear caliper and changed a hose and now the pedle feels spongy as s*it, bleed round each wheel, no abs light and they still feel poo, they stop the car but the pedle gos right down and it was really good before!

HELP!

p.e tis a mk2

Guest pugmt

Did the abs pump kick in whilst you were bleeding the brakes?

On the bendix addonex system you are suposed to disconnect the electrical connectors from the unit and turn off the ignition before bleeding the brakes, as if the pump starts it draws air into itself and it can be a nightmere to get out.

Sloppy

no the pump dint do anything while bleeding, i bleed with the car running and not it made no difference HELP!!!

Guest pugmt

Is your mi a 2 wheel drive?

If so, the air could be stuck in the brake compensator, the answer is to unbolt the rear brake calipers one at a time, put a peice of wood or something between the brake pads to stop the piston coming all the way out. Lift the brake caliper higher than the brake compensator and get somebody to pump the brake while you bleed it, this should let the air to the highest point, the bleed nipple. We do this often at work on old 405's.

Sloppy

thanks very much for your help chief, i will try this and since it was a rear hiose sounds like thats the problem, many thanks Joe

Sign in to follow this