• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
AndyB1345402284

Heavy Gearbox

AndyB1345402284

Hi all,

i have noticed that when i get stuck in traffic for a while and the temperature gauge starts crawling up the way the gearbox seems to get really heavy. Almost feels like your having a workout just changing the gears sometimes. As soon as you are upto speed again though and the temperature drops back down the gears are smooth and normal again.

Any ideas what causing this or how to fix it? Is it the oil?

Andy

Jer309GTi

My advice would be change the gearbox oil for starters, as it can't do any harm, is quick and easy and will cost you less than a tenner if you do it yourself.

Then take off the gear-rods and clean up the little cups and put a smear of grease over them. If that doesn't solve it then maybe take the linkage apart, give it a clean and grease and try it.

Other than that I don't know!

AndyB1345402284

what oil is best to use for the gearbox?

will give the rest a try too and see what happens

cheers

Andy

Roland1345402284
Hi all,

i have noticed that when i get stuck in traffic for a while and the temperature gauge starts crawling up the way the gearbox seems to get really heavy.  Almost feels like your having a workout just changing the gears sometimes.  As soon as you are upto speed again though and the temperature drops back down the gears are smooth and normal again.

Any ideas what causing this or how to fix it?  Is it the oil?

Andy

It actually sounds a bit like a sticking clutch to me.

Can you check the adjustment and maybe take it up as little?

Jer309GTi
It actually sounds a bit like a sticking clutch to me.

Can you check the adjustment and maybe take it up as little?

True, forgot about that :unsure:

AndyB1345402284

whats the easiest way to do that(quick run through?)? do i have to get underneath the car or can i do from the bonnet side. If underneath will need to take it to my mates garage.

sorry not ever had to do anything with the clutch, let alone most other things :)

Cheers

Andy

danrogers

hi yeh my gearbox sounds really similar to that, it also goes stiff if ive been on a long motorway journey for the first few changes then it gets better? think i may aswell change the oil, must be alosrts of nasty metal particals in the old stuff!

Guest serrento405

Try all the other suggestions, but mine went a bit stiff :o , gearbox that is,lol,and it turned out to be the plastic bushes at ether end of the release fork, when I striped it for the re build it turned out the bushes where stuck solid to the release fork, so fitted new ones they where 4.95 for the pair

Edited by serrento405

danrogers

any news on the best recommended oil to use?

danrogers

anyone?

ryan13961345402285

I used Comma 75w80 in mine

KRISKARRERA

Places like GSF sell Total 75w80 - exactly same stuff pug use - for less than half the price.

JOHN89MI16

I used texaco 75W80 in my gearbox. It cost £10.

Sign in to follow this